Research resources + chat

  • Melvyn Clarke
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2000
      Hi,

      Thanks to you, Irena, Kostas, Katerina, Bob, Falco, Rachel, Simon, Otto,
      Olga, Martin J. and
      family, Zoltan, Monika, Marek, and Birna for coming.

      We drank a toast to absent listmates: Michael, John, Jirka, Vladimir,
      Vlasta, Mirek, Gerry,
      Todd, all the Martins and others and hope you can join us for some future
      meeting. I had a little drink
      for each of you. Hope it tasted OK.

      Many apologies for giving out the name of one street as "Revolucni" when the
      street-sign at
      the main-road end says "Politickych Veznu". In fact there are two
      street-signs a couple of
      hundred yards further up the road at our end with the old name and that's
      how people in our
      street always refer to it - I guess the local authorities just like to
      please everybody.

      Bob you were asking about Internet resources. I find these online
      encyclopaedias are often
      helpful for research:

      http://www.britannica.com/

      http://www.funkandwagnalls.com/

      Also check out Altavista's new search engine at

      http://www.raging.com/

      Irena, you were asking about British comics. The Billy Bunter series might
      perhaps give you
      some insight into the old British public school system and some of its
      character-building
      institutions:

      http://home.freeuk.net/mkb/gallery/magpic.htm

      Or you might enjoy the comic for prepubescent anarchists:

      http://www.beano.co.uk/

      >but about M. Smith
      I was sure he ended up marrying a beautiful
      under"right"arm-facial girl and lived happily ever after.....

      Wouldn't that make kissing rather difficult?

      Bye,

      Melvyn

      FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2000
        Hello all,

        Let me introduce myself to those who haven't met me Wednesday: My name is
        Joe Most of the time (besides studying) I translate technical texts -
        electronics and computers in particular.

        Joe

        --
        Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
        or <hlavacj2@...>
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2000
          >My name is
          >Joe Most of the time

          What's your name the rest of the time?
          ;-)
          Michael

          Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (817) 514-6413
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2000
            >I had a little drink
            >for each of you. Hope it tasted OK.

            I was wondering why I was feeling so tipsy....
            :-)
            Michael

            Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (817) 514-6413
          • Kostas Zgafas
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 5, 2000
              > >I had a little drink
              > >for each of you. Hope it tasted OK.
              >
              > I was wondering why I was feeling so tipsy....
              > :-)
              > Michael

              Well, next time we should meet at Michael´s place in Texas.
              By the way, it is where the international airport is, am I right?

              Kostas
            • Michael Grant
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2000
                >Well, next time we should meet at Michael´s place in Texas.
                >By the way, it is where the international airport is, am I right?

                I live about a 20-minute drive from the airport. But there's a good
                chance we'll be moving to Austin soon, which is about 3 hours south.
                (Those who knew me in Prague may remember that my agency there was
                named after the city of Austin.) Either way, you're all welcome to
                visit any time you're on this side of the ditch!

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2000
                  > >Joe Most of the time
                  >
                  > What's your name the rest of the time?
                  > ;-)

                  hehe :)))))) - it's funny what a missing period can cause :)))

                  Joe
                  --
                  Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
                  or <hlavacj2@...>
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 6, 2000
                    Melvyn Clarke wrote:

                    > We drank a toast to absent listmates: Michael, John, Jirka, Vladimir,
                    > Vlasta, Mirek, Gerry,
                    > Todd, all the Martins and others and hope you can join us for some future
                    > meeting. I had a little drink
                    > for each of you. Hope it tasted OK.

                    Jirka's quite a common first name in these latitudes (and longitudes), at
                    least in my generation (another timespace dimension to the two prior ones),
                    but I suspect the one mentioned above is myself. How nice of you, Melv, to
                    remember the absent ones. Thanks. I hope I manage to make it to a gathering
                    one day. Most likely down in Prague.

                    Sorry my reply is a bit late (as usual, maybe), but being a grass pollen
                    allergy sufferer, I really had "my day" yesterday (after the ladies'
                    sanitaion stuff and guys' booze stuff in [Czech] TV commercials).

                    So long....

                    Jirka