Re: [Czechlist] SPAM: Britney

  • Miroslav Herold
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
      Hi Simon,

      unfortunately, my mailbox has suffered these spams already at least 4x.
      BR
      Mirek
      Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

      tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
      tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
      mobil: 0606 865870
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
        > > You also sent this message to Czechlist from an address that is not
        > actually subscribed to this list. <
        >
        > Eh? What do you mean? Of course our address is subscribed to the list.
        > You can see it on the members page.

        I sent it using one of those other addresses I mentioned in my previous
        posting. There was nothing sinister in this; it was just a mistake -- one
        which I corrected.

        > > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
        > sure that that is going to solve your problem. We can discuss this
        > matter off-list and send our conclusions to the list later if you
        > want.<

        Seems like a suitable onlist topic to me, since other people on the list are
        obviously affected by it.

        Simon
      • Lindsay Lockyer
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
          I've been getting the Britney spam too, so I agree we're all in this
          together, not just Simon.

          Lindsay

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
            On 6/4/02 5:37 AM, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

            > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
            > sure that that is going to solve your problem.

            It will probably reduce the future occurrence of such problems.
            Michael
            also getting it

            --
            The government doesn't want you to know... e-mail doesn't work. At all. It's
            a scientific impossibility.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 5, 2002
              Rachel wrote:
              > I don't know what more complicated ways spammers have of collecting
              >addresses from Yahoogroups, but it seems to me there is one very easy
              >way - subscribe to the list, sit quiet and collect addresses from
              >the mails of the active contributors, then spam them offlist.

              That is why I believe that turning off the members list does not help.
              I think we should also bear in mind the fact that the members list is
              actually quite a useful facility for many people - other list members
              have enthused to me about how they can use it to check out who is
              online at any particular moment and send "instant messages" to
              colleagues as well as look up their profiles, URLs etc. It seems a
              pity to me that an offlist spammer should "stampede" us into closing
              it down but there you go.

              >I don't see any easy way of stopping this

              Me neither apart from the obvious remedy of using your filters.

              Melvyn (unspammed as yet)