ADMIN: Desperate spammer

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4 3:37 AM
      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@q...> wrote:
      > Dear all,
      >
      > I have been getting repeated offers to see "Brittney" Spears totally
      > exposed, at both addresses with which I subscribe to Czechlist. I'm
      > wondering if the pornopromoters have got these addresses from the
      > Yahoogroups site, since I haven't had the message at any of my other
      > addresses.

      Hello Simon,

      You also sent this message to Czechlist from an address that is not
      actually subscribed to this list.

      The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
      sure that that is going to solve your problem. We can discuss this
      matter off-list and send our conclusions to the list later if you
      want.

      Britney who?

      M.
    • Miroslav Herold
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4 3:51 AM
        Hi Simon,

        unfortunately, my mailbox has suffered these spams already at least 4x.
        BR
        Mirek
        Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

        tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
        tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
        mobil: 0606 865870
        >I have been getting repeated offers to see "Brittney" Spears totally
        >exposed, at both addresses with which I subscribe to Czechlist. I'm
        >wondering if the pornopromoters have got these addresses from the
        >Yahoogroups site, since I haven't had the message at any of my other
        >addresses.
        >
        >Has anyone else had this message? If so, is there anything we can do to
        >stop the spammers getting our addresses?
        >
        >Simon
        >
        >PS Anyone who wants the details for the site should contact me offlist.
        >
        >PPS I'm joking.
        >
        >PPPS You can contact me onlist.

        >Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

      • Rachel Thompson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4 4:11 AM
          Hi Melvyn,

          > You also sent this message to Czechlist from an address that is not
          actually subscribed to this list. <

          Eh? What do you mean? Of course our address is subscribed to the list.
          You can see it on the members page.

          > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
          sure that that is going to solve your problem. We can discuss this
          matter off-list and send our conclusions to the list later if you
          want.<

          I don't know what more complicated ways spammers have of collecting
          addresses from Yahoogroups, but it seems to me there is one very easy way -
          subscribe to the list, sit quiet and collect addresses from the emails of
          the active contributors, then spam them offlist. I don't see any easy way
          of stopping this, but I do find it a little worrying, because if our address
          list is later sold (as so many are these days), it ends up being on millions
          of spam lists and all active contributors will end up receiving lots of
          spam.

          Rachel

          PS I'd say this is "our" problem, not just Simon's.
        • Simon Vaughan
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4 4:47 AM
            > > You also sent this message to Czechlist from an address that is not
            > actually subscribed to this list. <
            >
            > Eh? What do you mean? Of course our address is subscribed to the list.
            > You can see it on the members page.

            I sent it using one of those other addresses I mentioned in my previous
            posting. There was nothing sinister in this; it was just a mistake -- one
            which I corrected.

            > > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
            > sure that that is going to solve your problem. We can discuss this
            > matter off-list and send our conclusions to the list later if you
            > want.<

            Seems like a suitable onlist topic to me, since other people on the list are
            obviously affected by it.

            Simon
          • Lindsay Lockyer
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4 5:06 AM
              I've been getting the Britney spam too, so I agree we're all in this
              together, not just Simon.

              Lindsay

              > PS I'd say this is "our" problem, not just Simon's.
            • Michael Grant
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4 8:21 AM
                On 6/4/02 5:37 AM, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

                > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
                > sure that that is going to solve your problem.

                It will probably reduce the future occurrence of such problems.
                Michael
                also getting it

                --
                The government doesn't want you to know... e-mail doesn't work. At all. It's
                a scientific impossibility.
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5 10:48 AM
                  Rachel wrote:
                  > I don't know what more complicated ways spammers have of collecting
                  >addresses from Yahoogroups, but it seems to me there is one very easy
                  >way - subscribe to the list, sit quiet and collect addresses from
                  >the mails of the active contributors, then spam them offlist.

                  That is why I believe that turning off the members list does not help.
                  I think we should also bear in mind the fact that the members list is
                  actually quite a useful facility for many people - other list members
                  have enthused to me about how they can use it to check out who is
                  online at any particular moment and send "instant messages" to
                  colleagues as well as look up their profiles, URLs etc. It seems a
                  pity to me that an offlist spammer should "stampede" us into closing
                  it down but there you go.

                  >I don't see any easy way of stopping this

                  Me neither apart from the obvious remedy of using your filters.

                  Melvyn (unspammed as yet)