Re: [Czechlist] SPAM: Britney

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
      I have been receiving ther same spam for a couple of weeks. It comes at my
      mail; however, it is addressed at:

      Free4Free@... Nextra is my provider. I do not what the
      "Free4Free" is about.

      Kostas
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@q...> wrote:
        > Dear all,
        >
        > I have been getting repeated offers to see "Brittney" Spears totally
        > exposed, at both addresses with which I subscribe to Czechlist. I'm
        > wondering if the pornopromoters have got these addresses from the
        > Yahoogroups site, since I haven't had the message at any of my other
        > addresses.

        Hello Simon,

        You also sent this message to Czechlist from an address that is not
        actually subscribed to this list.

        The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
        sure that that is going to solve your problem. We can discuss this
        matter off-list and send our conclusions to the list later if you
        want.

        Britney who?

        M.
      • Miroslav Herold
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
          Hi Simon,

          unfortunately, my mailbox has suffered these spams already at least 4x.
          BR
          Mirek
          Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

          tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
          tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
          mobil: 0606 865870
          >I have been getting repeated offers to see "Brittney" Spears totally
          >exposed, at both addresses with which I subscribe to Czechlist. I'm
          >wondering if the pornopromoters have got these addresses from the
          >Yahoogroups site, since I haven't had the message at any of my other
          >addresses.
          >
          >Has anyone else had this message? If so, is there anything we can do to
          >stop the spammers getting our addresses?
          >
          >Simon
          >
          >PS Anyone who wants the details for the site should contact me offlist.
          >
          >PPS I'm joking.
          >
          >PPPS You can contact me onlist.

          >Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

        • Rachel Thompson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
            Hi Melvyn,

            > You also sent this message to Czechlist from an address that is not
            actually subscribed to this list. <

            Eh? What do you mean? Of course our address is subscribed to the list.
            You can see it on the members page.

            > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
            sure that that is going to solve your problem. We can discuss this
            matter off-list and send our conclusions to the list later if you
            want.<

            I don't know what more complicated ways spammers have of collecting
            addresses from Yahoogroups, but it seems to me there is one very easy way -
            subscribe to the list, sit quiet and collect addresses from the emails of
            the active contributors, then spam them offlist. I don't see any easy way
            of stopping this, but I do find it a little worrying, because if our address
            list is later sold (as so many are these days), it ends up being on millions
            of spam lists and all active contributors will end up receiving lots of
            spam.

            Rachel

            PS I'd say this is "our" problem, not just Simon's.
          • Simon Vaughan
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
              > > You also sent this message to Czechlist from an address that is not
              > actually subscribed to this list. <
              >
              > Eh? What do you mean? Of course our address is subscribed to the list.
              > You can see it on the members page.

              I sent it using one of those other addresses I mentioned in my previous
              posting. There was nothing sinister in this; it was just a mistake -- one
              which I corrected.

              > > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
              > sure that that is going to solve your problem. We can discuss this
              > matter off-list and send our conclusions to the list later if you
              > want.<

              Seems like a suitable onlist topic to me, since other people on the list are
              obviously affected by it.

              Simon
            • Lindsay Lockyer
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                I've been getting the Britney spam too, so I agree we're all in this
                together, not just Simon.

                Lindsay

                > PS I'd say this is "our" problem, not just Simon's.
              • Michael Grant
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                  On 6/4/02 5:37 AM, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

                  > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
                  > sure that that is going to solve your problem.

                  It will probably reduce the future occurrence of such problems.
                  Michael
                  also getting it

                  --
                  The government doesn't want you to know... e-mail doesn't work. At all. It's
                  a scientific impossibility.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 5, 2002
                    Rachel wrote:
                    > I don't know what more complicated ways spammers have of collecting
                    >addresses from Yahoogroups, but it seems to me there is one very easy
                    >way - subscribe to the list, sit quiet and collect addresses from
                    >the mails of the active contributors, then spam them offlist.

                    That is why I believe that turning off the members list does not help.
                    I think we should also bear in mind the fact that the members list is
                    actually quite a useful facility for many people - other list members
                    have enthused to me about how they can use it to check out who is
                    online at any particular moment and send "instant messages" to
                    colleagues as well as look up their profiles, URLs etc. It seems a
                    pity to me that an offlist spammer should "stampede" us into closing
                    it down but there you go.

                    >I don't see any easy way of stopping this

                    Me neither apart from the obvious remedy of using your filters.

                    Melvyn (unspammed as yet)