RE: [Czechlist] SPAM: Britney

  • Rubková
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
      Dear Simon,
      I have been getting them as well and I havo no idea what to do with it.

      Sarka

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
        I have been receiving the same emails...
        I've tried to contact the sender's mail provider (in Romania) to disable the
        address but no reaction so far.

        Jirka

        ---
        Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
      • Kostas Zgafas
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
          I have been receiving ther same spam for a couple of weeks. It comes at my
          mail; however, it is addressed at:

          Free4Free@... Nextra is my provider. I do not what the
          "Free4Free" is about.

          Kostas
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
            --- In Czechlist@y..., "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@q...> wrote:
            > Dear all,
            >
            > I have been getting repeated offers to see "Brittney" Spears totally
            > exposed, at both addresses with which I subscribe to Czechlist. I'm
            > wondering if the pornopromoters have got these addresses from the
            > Yahoogroups site, since I haven't had the message at any of my other
            > addresses.

            Hello Simon,

            You also sent this message to Czechlist from an address that is not
            actually subscribed to this list.

            The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
            sure that that is going to solve your problem. We can discuss this
            matter off-list and send our conclusions to the list later if you
            want.

            Britney who?

            M.
          • Miroslav Herold
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
              Hi Simon,

              unfortunately, my mailbox has suffered these spams already at least 4x.
              BR
              Mirek
              Ing.Miroslav HEROLD, CSc.

              tlumočník/překladatel/poradenství/volný novinář
              tel.: xx420 2 5155 4950
              mobil: 0606 865870
              >I have been getting repeated offers to see "Brittney" Spears totally
              >exposed, at both addresses with which I subscribe to Czechlist. I'm
              >wondering if the pornopromoters have got these addresses from the
              >Yahoogroups site, since I haven't had the message at any of my other
              >addresses.
              >
              >Has anyone else had this message? If so, is there anything we can do to
              >stop the spammers getting our addresses?
              >
              >Simon
              >
              >PS Anyone who wants the details for the site should contact me offlist.
              >
              >PPS I'm joking.
              >
              >PPPS You can contact me onlist.

              >Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

            • Rachel Thompson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                Hi Melvyn,

                > You also sent this message to Czechlist from an address that is not
                actually subscribed to this list. <

                Eh? What do you mean? Of course our address is subscribed to the list.
                You can see it on the members page.

                > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
                sure that that is going to solve your problem. We can discuss this
                matter off-list and send our conclusions to the list later if you
                want.<

                I don't know what more complicated ways spammers have of collecting
                addresses from Yahoogroups, but it seems to me there is one very easy way -
                subscribe to the list, sit quiet and collect addresses from the emails of
                the active contributors, then spam them offlist. I don't see any easy way
                of stopping this, but I do find it a little worrying, because if our address
                list is later sold (as so many are these days), it ends up being on millions
                of spam lists and all active contributors will end up receiving lots of
                spam.

                Rachel

                PS I'd say this is "our" problem, not just Simon's.
              • Simon Vaughan
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                  > > You also sent this message to Czechlist from an address that is not
                  > actually subscribed to this list. <
                  >
                  > Eh? What do you mean? Of course our address is subscribed to the list.
                  > You can see it on the members page.

                  I sent it using one of those other addresses I mentioned in my previous
                  posting. There was nothing sinister in this; it was just a mistake -- one
                  which I corrected.

                  > > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
                  > sure that that is going to solve your problem. We can discuss this
                  > matter off-list and send our conclusions to the list later if you
                  > want.<

                  Seems like a suitable onlist topic to me, since other people on the list are
                  obviously affected by it.

                  Simon
                • Lindsay Lockyer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                    I've been getting the Britney spam too, so I agree we're all in this
                    together, not just Simon.

                    Lindsay

                    > PS I'd say this is "our" problem, not just Simon's.
                  • Michael Grant
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 4, 2002
                      On 6/4/02 5:37 AM, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

                      > The Czechlist membership list can actually be turned off but I am not
                      > sure that that is going to solve your problem.

                      It will probably reduce the future occurrence of such problems.
                      Michael
                      also getting it

                      --
                      The government doesn't want you to know... e-mail doesn't work. At all. It's
                      a scientific impossibility.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 5, 2002
                        Rachel wrote:
                        > I don't know what more complicated ways spammers have of collecting
                        >addresses from Yahoogroups, but it seems to me there is one very easy
                        >way - subscribe to the list, sit quiet and collect addresses from
                        >the mails of the active contributors, then spam them offlist.

                        That is why I believe that turning off the members list does not help.
                        I think we should also bear in mind the fact that the members list is
                        actually quite a useful facility for many people - other list members
                        have enthused to me about how they can use it to check out who is
                        online at any particular moment and send "instant messages" to
                        colleagues as well as look up their profiles, URLs etc. It seems a
                        pity to me that an offlist spammer should "stampede" us into closing
                        it down but there you go.

                        >I don't see any easy way of stopping this

                        Me neither apart from the obvious remedy of using your filters.

                        Melvyn (unspammed as yet)