Re: [Czechlist] dotaz na bankovni terminy

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
      On 6/3/02 9:51 AM, "Sabina Králová" <Sabina.Kralova@...> wrote:

      > You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal English
      > Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not to use
      > leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova

      Definitely not on my side of the pond.
      Michael

      --
      "One of the interesting initiatives we've taken in Washington, D.C., is
      we've got these vampire-busting devices. A vampire is a-a cell deal you can

      - George W. Bush, Denver, Aug. 14, 2001
    • Helga Humlova
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
        Simon,

        > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN

        But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would work
        if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made clear
        that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
        know that "loan security" is wrong.)

        Even though not native, I have been working in finance and I never seen the
        term "loan security" in an official document. I do not think it is wrong, I
        only believe, that in any official document one would talk about how a loan
        is secured rather than about the loan security. I don't always translate
        words exactly as to what and how they are in the source text, but as to what
        they should look like in the target language.
        H.

        > 3)operativni leasing - operational leasing ? YES! - but it seems
        > Czenglish NO!

        Czechs assert that certain words or phrases are Czenglish fairly often on
        this list, and I wonder on what basis they do so. I don't mean this
        maliciously, I'd just like to know.

        > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN

        But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would work
        if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made clear
        that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
        know that "loan security" is wrong.)

        Simon

        Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

      • Sabina Králová
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
          Helga and Simon,

          Thanks for your help!!!
          Sabina Kralova
        • Simon Vaughan
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
            Hi Sabina,

            > You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal
            > English Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not
            > to use leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova

            Thanks, that was exactly what I was after.

            BTW, I had no idea whether 'operational leasing' was Czenglish, but that
            probably wasn't clear from my message.

            Simon
          • Simon Vaughan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
              Hello Helga,

              > > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN
              >
              > But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would
              > work if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to
              > be made clear that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining".
              > (BTW, I don't know that "loan security" is wrong.)
              >
              > Even though not native, I have been working in finance and I never seen
              > the term "loan security" in an official document. I do not think it is
              > wrong, I only believe, that in any official document one would talk about
              > how a loan is secured rather than about the loan security.

              I didn't say it was right, only that I didn't know it was wrong.

              > I don't always translate
              > words exactly as to what and how they are in the source text, but as to
              > what they should look like in the target language.

              Sure it's possible to translate one part of speech (word class) with
              another, but it makes sense to define an uncontextualized piece of
              vocabulary using the same part of speech. I was just nominalizing your
              idea, which otherwise I liked.

              Best wishes,

              Simon