Re: [Czechlist] US Educational system (WAS: School System)

  • Michael Grant
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
      On 6/3/02 9:12 AM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

      > The first two years of
      > bachelor's degree work at a US university consists of "required courses",
      > which are basically a review of traditional high school material. (Students
      > who went to good secondary schools feel that they are being forced to take
      > high school over again through no fault of their own.) Some of this "high
      > school" material, I'm sure, must correspond to Czech elementary school
      > material.

      I have to add that I attended several different universities at one time or
      another, and all of them gave students the option of "testing out" of the
      material Jamie's talking about. If they can demonstrate that they know the
      material, no one is forced to take it again, at least at the institutions I
      attended.

      Michael

      --
      "One of the interesting initiatives we've taken in Washington, D.C., is
      we've got these vampire-busting devices. A vampire is a-a cell deal you can

      - George W. Bush, Denver, Aug. 14, 2001
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
        In a message dated 6/3/02 11:19:48 AM, transman@... writes:

        >I have to add that I attended several different universities at one time
        >or another, and all of them gave students the option of "testing out" of the
        >material Jamie's talking about. If they can demonstrate that they know
        >the material, no one is forced to take it again, at least at the institutions
        >I attended.

        Besides testing out of the material, some of them allow you to take a CLEP
        exam and receive credit at university level (which is how I got into school
        with one year of English credit already finished). However, many schools
        limit the number of requirements they will let you test out of, or will only
        let you have a limited number of credits by examination.

        Then there are those requirements you can't get out of because there's no
        test. For example, an immigrant student from China or Brazil still cannot
        get out of today's "multicultural" requirements, because their purpose is not
        to make you learn about another culture, but to indoctrinate you.

        JK