Re: [Czechlist] dotaz na bankovni terminy

  • Sabina Králová
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
      You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal English
      Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not to use
      leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
        On 6/3/02 6:24 AM, "Helga Humlova" <helga.humlova@...> wrote:

        > 4)vyse cenoveho zvyhodneni uveru -

        Amount of interest rate subsidy? (I assume that's what they mean by
        "cenoveho zvyhodneni", although it's conceivable that they could be
        referring to some kind of origination fee.)

        Michael

        --
        "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
        - Albert Einstein
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
          On 6/3/02 9:51 AM, "Sabina Králová" <Sabina.Kralova@...> wrote:

          > You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal English
          > Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not to use
          > leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova

          Definitely not on my side of the pond.
          Michael

          --
          "One of the interesting initiatives we've taken in Washington, D.C., is
          we've got these vampire-busting devices. A vampire is a-a cell deal you can

          - George W. Bush, Denver, Aug. 14, 2001
        • Helga Humlova
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
            Simon,

            > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN

            But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would work
            if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made clear
            that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
            know that "loan security" is wrong.)

            Even though not native, I have been working in finance and I never seen the
            term "loan security" in an official document. I do not think it is wrong, I
            only believe, that in any official document one would talk about how a loan
            is secured rather than about the loan security. I don't always translate
            words exactly as to what and how they are in the source text, but as to what
            they should look like in the target language.
            H.

            > 3)operativni leasing - operational leasing ? YES! - but it seems
            > Czenglish NO!

            Czechs assert that certain words or phrases are Czenglish fairly often on
            this list, and I wonder on what basis they do so. I don't mean this
            maliciously, I'd just like to know.

            > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN

            But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would work
            if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made clear
            that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
            know that "loan security" is wrong.)

            Simon

            Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

          • Sabina Králová
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
              Helga and Simon,

              Thanks for your help!!!
              Sabina Kralova
            • Simon Vaughan
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
                Hi Sabina,

                > You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal
                > English Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not
                > to use leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova

                Thanks, that was exactly what I was after.

                BTW, I had no idea whether 'operational leasing' was Czenglish, but that
                probably wasn't clear from my message.

                Simon
              • Simon Vaughan
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
                  Hello Helga,

                  > > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN
                  >
                  > But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would
                  > work if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to
                  > be made clear that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining".
                  > (BTW, I don't know that "loan security" is wrong.)
                  >
                  > Even though not native, I have been working in finance and I never seen
                  > the term "loan security" in an official document. I do not think it is
                  > wrong, I only believe, that in any official document one would talk about
                  > how a loan is secured rather than about the loan security.

                  I didn't say it was right, only that I didn't know it was wrong.

                  > I don't always translate
                  > words exactly as to what and how they are in the source text, but as to
                  > what they should look like in the target language.

                  Sure it's possible to translate one part of speech (word class) with
                  another, but it makes sense to define an uncontextualized piece of
                  vocabulary using the same part of speech. I was just nominalizing your
                  idea, which otherwise I liked.

                  Best wishes,

                  Simon