Re: [Czechlist] dotaz na bankovni terminy

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
      > 3)operativni leasing - operational leasing ? YES! - but it seems
      > Czenglish NO!

      Czechs assert that certain words or phrases are Czenglish fairly often on
      this list, and I wonder on what basis they do so. I don't mean this
      maliciously, I'd just like to know.

      > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN

      But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would work
      if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made clear
      that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
      know that "loan security" is wrong.)

      Simon
    • Sabina Králová
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
        You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal English
        Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not to use
        leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova
        > > 3)operativni leasing - operational leasing ? YES! - but it seems
        > > Czenglish NO!
        >
        > Czechs assert that certain words or phrases are Czenglish fairly often on
        > this list, and I wonder on what basis they do so. I don't mean this
        > maliciously, I'd just like to know.
        >
        > > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN
        >
        > But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would
        work
        > if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made
        clear
        > that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
        > know that "loan security" is wrong.)
        >
        > Simon

      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
          On 6/3/02 6:24 AM, "Helga Humlova" <helga.humlova@...> wrote:

          > 4)vyse cenoveho zvyhodneni uveru -

          Amount of interest rate subsidy? (I assume that's what they mean by
          "cenoveho zvyhodneni", although it's conceivable that they could be
          referring to some kind of origination fee.)

          Michael

          --
          "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
          - Albert Einstein
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
            On 6/3/02 9:51 AM, "Sabina Králová" <Sabina.Kralova@...> wrote:

            > You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal English
            > Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not to use
            > leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova

            Definitely not on my side of the pond.
            Michael

            --
            "One of the interesting initiatives we've taken in Washington, D.C., is
            we've got these vampire-busting devices. A vampire is a-a cell deal you can

            - George W. Bush, Denver, Aug. 14, 2001
          • Helga Humlova
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
              Simon,

              > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN

              But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would work
              if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made clear
              that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
              know that "loan security" is wrong.)

              Even though not native, I have been working in finance and I never seen the
              term "loan security" in an official document. I do not think it is wrong, I
              only believe, that in any official document one would talk about how a loan
              is secured rather than about the loan security. I don't always translate
              words exactly as to what and how they are in the source text, but as to what
              they should look like in the target language.
              H.

              > 3)operativni leasing - operational leasing ? YES! - but it seems
              > Czenglish NO!

              Czechs assert that certain words or phrases are Czenglish fairly often on
              this list, and I wonder on what basis they do so. I don't mean this
              maliciously, I'd just like to know.

              > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN

              But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would work
              if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made clear
              that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
              know that "loan security" is wrong.)

              Simon

              Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

            • Sabina Králová
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
                Helga and Simon,

                Thanks for your help!!!
                Sabina Kralova
              • Simon Vaughan
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
                  Hi Sabina,

                  > You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal
                  > English Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not
                  > to use leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova

                  Thanks, that was exactly what I was after.

                  BTW, I had no idea whether 'operational leasing' was Czenglish, but that
                  probably wasn't clear from my message.

                  Simon
                • Simon Vaughan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
                    Hello Helga,

                    > > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN
                    >
                    > But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would
                    > work if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to
                    > be made clear that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining".
                    > (BTW, I don't know that "loan security" is wrong.)
                    >
                    > Even though not native, I have been working in finance and I never seen
                    > the term "loan security" in an official document. I do not think it is
                    > wrong, I only believe, that in any official document one would talk about
                    > how a loan is secured rather than about the loan security.

                    I didn't say it was right, only that I didn't know it was wrong.

                    > I don't always translate
                    > words exactly as to what and how they are in the source text, but as to
                    > what they should look like in the target language.

                    Sure it's possible to translate one part of speech (word class) with
                    another, but it makes sense to define an uncontextualized piece of
                    vocabulary using the same part of speech. I was just nominalizing your
                    idea, which otherwise I liked.

                    Best wishes,

                    Simon