dotaz na bankovni terminy

  • Sabina Králová
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
      Hi, everyone,

      I am to translate a banking text and cannot find the following terms. Could
      someone help me with ANY of these, please?
      TIA
      Sabina Kralova

      zvyhodneny uver - soft loan??, favourable loan?
      prispevky na uhradu uroku - subsidy, allowance ??
      operativni leasing - operational leasing ? - but it seems Czenglish
      vyse cenoveho zvyhodneni uveru -
      zaruka za navrh do obchodni verejne souteze - Guarantee on a bid in
      a public tender???
      vedeni saldokonta odberatelu - administration of accounts receivable ledger
      ?
      ucelove vazany uver -
      zajisteni uveru - loan security ??
    • Helga Humlova
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
        Hi Sabina,
        See my comments in CAPITAL LETTERS - hope this helps a bit

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
          > 3)operativni leasing - operational leasing ? YES! - but it seems
          > Czenglish NO!

          Czechs assert that certain words or phrases are Czenglish fairly often on
          this list, and I wonder on what basis they do so. I don't mean this
          maliciously, I'd just like to know.

          > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN

          But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would work
          if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made clear
          that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
          know that "loan security" is wrong.)

          Simon
        • Sabina Králová
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
            You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal English
            Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not to use
            leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova
            > > 3)operativni leasing - operational leasing ? YES! - but it seems
            > > Czenglish NO!
            >
            > Czechs assert that certain words or phrases are Czenglish fairly often on
            > this list, and I wonder on what basis they do so. I don't mean this
            > maliciously, I'd just like to know.
            >
            > > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN
            >
            > But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would
            work
            > if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made
            clear
            > that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
            > know that "loan security" is wrong.)
            >
            > Simon

          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
              On 6/3/02 6:24 AM, "Helga Humlova" <helga.humlova@...> wrote:

              > 4)vyse cenoveho zvyhodneni uveru -

              Amount of interest rate subsidy? (I assume that's what they mean by
              "cenoveho zvyhodneni", although it's conceivable that they could be
              referring to some kind of origination fee.)

              Michael

              --
              "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
              - Albert Einstein
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
                On 6/3/02 9:51 AM, "Sabina Králová" <Sabina.Kralova@...> wrote:

                > You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal English
                > Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not to use
                > leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova

                Definitely not on my side of the pond.
                Michael

                --
                "One of the interesting initiatives we've taken in Washington, D.C., is
                we've got these vampire-busting devices. A vampire is a-a cell deal you can

                - George W. Bush, Denver, Aug. 14, 2001
              • Helga Humlova
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 3, 2002
                  Simon,

                  > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN

                  But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would work
                  if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to be made clear
                  that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining". (BTW, I don't
                  know that "loan security" is wrong.)

                  Even though not native, I have been working in finance and I never seen the
                  term "loan security" in an official document. I do not think it is wrong, I
                  only believe, that in any official document one would talk about how a loan
                  is secured rather than about the loan security. I don't always translate
                  words exactly as to what and how they are in the source text, but as to what
                  they should look like in the target language.
                  H.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
                    Helga and Simon,

                    Thanks for your help!!!
                    Sabina Kralova
                  • Simon Vaughan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
                      Hi Sabina,

                      > You asked why I suggested "leasing" to be Czenglish. I took a Legal
                      > English Course of dr. Chroma (Prague Law School) and she warned us not
                      > to use leasing but "hire purchase". Sabina Kralova

                      Thanks, that was exactly what I was after.

                      BTW, I had no idea whether 'operational leasing' was Czenglish, but that
                      probably wasn't clear from my message.

                      Simon
                    • Simon Vaughan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 4, 2002
                        Hello Helga,

                        > > 8)zajisteni uveru - loan security ?? TO SECURE A LOAN
                        >
                        > But zajisteni is a noun, albeit a verbal one. "Securing a loan" would
                        > work if the syntax demands a noun phrase, but I suppose it needs to
                        > be made clear that "securing" here means "guaranteeing" not "obtaining".
                        > (BTW, I don't know that "loan security" is wrong.)
                        >
                        > Even though not native, I have been working in finance and I never seen
                        > the term "loan security" in an official document. I do not think it is
                        > wrong, I only believe, that in any official document one would talk about
                        > how a loan is secured rather than about the loan security.

                        I didn't say it was right, only that I didn't know it was wrong.

                        > I don't always translate
                        > words exactly as to what and how they are in the source text, but as to
                        > what they should look like in the target language.

                        Sure it's possible to translate one part of speech (word class) with
                        another, but it makes sense to define an uncontextualized piece of
                        vocabulary using the same part of speech. I was just nominalizing your
                        idea, which otherwise I liked.

                        Best wishes,

                        Simon