Re: [Czechlist] Secession and Art Nouveau

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , May 28, 2002
      In a message dated 5/28/02 4:09:32 PM, rubkova@... writes:

      >He should rather say that this style was called Art Nouveau
      >primarily in France, England and North America because what he calls the
      >Secession style can be seen in Glasgow, Chicago and elsewhere in these
      >countries.

      Here is something I found in a website on fabric design:

      "Designers in the early years of the century could choose fabrics with
      designs from the stylized organic motifs of Art Nouveau or the flat, abstract
      designs of the Vienna Secession movement–both styles having originated in the
      1890s."

      Somebody is apparently able to tell them apart in decorative arts too.

      JK