chop suey is American? I did not know that

  • Karen Sell
    Message 1 of 2 , May 28 6:04 AM
      Jamie,

      I never knew chop suey was American. Go figure, I'd learn about American-faux-Chineese food on a Czech language list.

      And I've always considered baklava and pita to be Greek or maybe Lebanese.

      Karen

      Message 2 of 2 , May 28 6:53 AM
        In a message dated 5/28/02 9:05:17 AM, karenjsell@... writes:

        >I never knew chop suey was American. Go figure, I'd learn about
        American-faux-Chineese
        >food on a Czech language list.

        The story is that it was invented in San Francisco in the 19th century when a
        cook ran out of chow mein noodles. (But who cares about the noodles! I had
        "chow mein" in Marianske Lazne that had three noodles, and the rest was beef.
        No vegetables.)

        And to my foreign students' frequent assertions that "there is no such thing
        as American food", I answer: "Spinach-tofu lasagna." If you take pasta that
        originated in China, cook it with spinach and Japanese soybean curd, and put
        an Italian tomato sauce on it, is that Chinese, Japanese, Italian or
        American? What about the way spaghetti squash is served. You take the guts
        out of a squash, which is an indigenous American vegetable, you boil it, and
        you put spaghetti sauce on it. Is it Italian or American?