Re: [Czechlist] lazura/glazura

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , May 24, 2002
      In a message dated 5/24/02 12:42:59 PM, jirka.bolech@... writes:

      >it may not be very relevant to your query, but I'd like to
      >point out that in Czech the word "lazura" is obviously very
      >much used in conjunction with wood finish. If searching
      >Czech websites, you'll find tens of times more references to
      >that than to "lazura" on glass.

      Thank you. The author is suggesting "colored varnish", which is the type of
      "lazura" used as a wood finish. But in English it seems less accurate than
      "glaze" to me, because a lazura for wood is a material in its own rite, and
      it is simply added to the surface of the wood.

      In a lazura on glass, the pigment is simply adhered to the surface, and it's
      really the melting of the very surface of the glass that provides the
      "lazura". It's a bit like what happens with a ceramic material called
      "Egyptian paste". The pigments are mixed right into the clay material when
      the object is modeled (and sometimes some raw pigment is brushed onto the
      surface), but the glassy material that melts onto the surface to create the
      glaze -- the lazura -- comes from the material the item is made of, and not
      from some kind of poleva brushed onto it. It's nearly an exact analogy with
      what happens with a glass glaze. Wonder if I can get the author to accept
      this.

      JK