Re: [Czechlist] Secession and Art Nouveau - THANKS!

    Message 1 of 19 , May 23, 2002
      Amazing! When I was attending tourist guide courses at Prazska informacni sluzba, we were always told Secession is wrong and Czenglish. Obviously, the Anglo-Saxons are more Czenglish that we are :-))

      But anyway, thanks a lot, Jamie! You keep shedding light on the dark dungeons of my knowledge!

      Cheers!
      Message 2 of 19 , May 24, 2002
        In a message dated 5/24/02 4:56:54 AM, martinjanda@... writes:

        >Amazing! When I was attending tourist guide courses at Prazska informacni
        >sluzba, we were always told Secession is wrong and Czenglish. Obviously,
        >the Anglo-Saxons are more Czenglish that we are :-))

        That's been known to happen. Sometimes they will condemn thinks that are
        correct as Czenglish, and then they'll turn around and defend their mistakes
        to the death, claiming they are Breetish Inklish. And do you know what other
        term we use in English? Jungendstil! It's not Germlish. Do a search on
        Google and you'll find things.

        Or here is something on Austrian cultural life from the Encyclopedia
        Britannica (which everyone knows is published in Chicago):

        "In painting, a distinctly Viennese school developed in the movement known as
        the Vienna Secession (referring to its breakaway in 1897 from the academic
        painters of the Künstlerhaus), which was part of the Jugendstil, as Art
        Nouveau is known in the German regions. Led by Gustav Klimt, the movement
        tangentially involved a number of innovative architects, including Otto
        Wagner, Adolf Loos, and Josef Hoffmann, who also helped found a cooperative
        enterprise for crafts and design called the Wiener Werkstätte. Led by Klimt,
        a later group was formed centring around an exhibition known as the
        "Kunstschau," from which emerged some of the most illustrious modern Austrian
        painters, including Oskar Kokoschka, Alfred Kubin, and Egon Schiele."

        Jamie
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 19 , May 24, 2002
          On 5/24/02 1:25 AM, "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@...> wrote:

          > Amazing! When I was attending tourist guide courses at Prazska informacni
          > sluzba, we were always told Secession is wrong and Czenglish. Obviously, the
          > Anglo-Saxons are more Czenglish that we are :-))

          In part I think it depends on the audience. A typical American tourist is
          much more likely (or should I say less unlikely) to be familiar with the
          term "Art Nouveau" than "Secession", and for most of them there's probably
          no need to go into the specifics. In that case "Secession" is not exactly
          Czenglish, but it's still not necessarily the optimum rendering.

          Michael

          --
          "It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's
          not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the

          ? George W. Bush, Arlington Heights, Ill., Oct. 24, 2000
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , May 24, 2002
            In a message dated 5/24/02 12:01:42 PM, transman@... writes:

            >In that case "Secession" is not exactly
            >Czenglish,

            It's not Czenglish at all.

            >but it's still not necessarily the optimum rendering.

            It's not necessarily the optimum rendering for Western tourists with only a
            casual acquaintance with artistic styles. For an audience that knows a bit
            more, it IS the best rendering.

            JK
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 19 , May 24, 2002
              On 5/24/02 4:14 PM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

              > It's not necessarily the optimum rendering for Western tourists with only a
              > casual acquaintance with artistic styles. For an audience that knows a bit
              > more, it IS the best rendering.

              Yes, that's exactly what I said.
              Michael

              --
              When rebooting, always wear steel-toed shoes.
              - Randy Cassingham
              Message 6 of 19 , May 24, 2002
                In a message dated 5/24/02 6:44:01 PM, transman@... writes:

                >> It's not necessarily the optimum rendering for Western tourists with only a
                >> casual acquaintance with artistic styles. For an audience that knows a bit
                >> more, it IS the best rendering.

                >Yes, that's exactly what I said.

                Oh. :-)

                It's also possible to introduce tourists to the term Secession by saying that
                it's the Central European equivalent of Art Nouveau. In fact, it's downright
                educational.

                JK
              • Tropen
                Message 7 of 19 , May 25, 2002
                  Hi,
                  anybody knows how to convert .DOC or .XLS formats to PDF?
                  I cannot believe that the unique possibility is purchasing of Acrobat
                  Distiller software...
                  Thanks a lot!

                  Josef
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 25, 2002
                    Jestli toho nemas zrovna kilo, tak mi to posli a ja ti vratim pdf-ka.

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 25, 2002
                      Hi Josef,

                      Of course there are cheaper alternatives...

                      You can buy the Print Pack from Software602 for some 1000 CZK...
                      http://www.software602.cz/produkty/printp/index.htm

                      Or, print the document to PostScript (either install a suitable PostScript
                      printer and print to file, or download the [free] Adobe Printer Driver and
                      do the same) and convert the result to PDF using ps2pdf - a part of the
                      Ghostscript package [also free]
                      http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript/ghostscript.html
                      http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
                      http://www.adobe.com/products/printerdrivers/main.html

                      HTH, Joe

                      --
                      Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
                      Phone: +420-776-736715

                      On Sat, 25 May 2002, Tropen wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > anybody knows how to convert .DOC or .XLS formats to PDF?
                      > I cannot believe that the unique possibility is purchasing of Acrobat
                      > Distiller software...
                      > Thanks a lot!
                      >
                      > Josef

                    • Tropen
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 27, 2002
                        Hi Joe and Martin,

                        Thank you very much!

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 28, 2002
                          On 5/24/02 9:26 PM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

                          > It's also possible to introduce tourists to the term Secession by saying that
                          > it's the Central European equivalent of Art Nouveau. In fact, it's downright
                          > educational.

                          Do you consider it wrong to use Art Nouveau as an umbrella term that also
                          comprises Jugendstil and Secession?

                          Michael

                          --
                          "You saw the president yesterday. I thought he was very forward-leaning, as
                          they say in diplomatic nuanced circles."

                          ? George W. Bush after his meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin,
                          Rome, July 23, 2001
                        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 28, 2002
                            In a message dated 5/28/02 3:20:26 PM, transman@... writes:

                            >> It's also possible to introduce tourists to the term Secession by saying
                            that
                            >> it's the Central European equivalent of Art Nouveau. In fact, it's
                            downright
                            >> educational.

                            >Do you consider it wrong to use Art Nouveau as an umbrella term that also
                            >comprises Jugendstil and Secession?

                            You could get away with this in decorative arts, maybe, but the painting is
                            very different. Even so, people trained in it can tell Secession and Art
                            Nouveau apart just from looking at the piece.

                            JK
                          • Michael Grant
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 29, 2002
                              On 5/28/02 5:50 PM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

                              > You could get away with this in decorative arts, maybe, but the painting is
                              > very different. Even so, people trained in it can tell Secession and Art
                              > Nouveau apart just from looking at the piece.

                              How about Jugendstil? Seems to be more curvy than blocky from what I've seen
                              of it.

                              Michael

                              --
                              "I would only use a Wintel system if paid by the hour."
                              - Philip Machanick
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 30, 2002
                                Is "miesto" in Slovak equivalent to "misto" or "mesto" in Czech?

                                Thanks,
                                Michael

                                --
                                "I'm gonna talk about the ideal world, Chris. I've read - I understand
                                reality. If you're asking me as the president, would I understand reality, I

                                - George W. Bush
                              • Tomás Skront
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 30, 2002
                                  "misto"

                                  Regards,
                                  Tomas
                                  > Is "miesto" in Slovak equivalent to "misto" or "mesto" in Czech?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Michael
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > "I'm gonna talk about the ideal world, Chris. I've read - I understand
                                  > reality. If you're asking me as the president, would I understand reality,
                                  > do."
                                  >
                                  > - George W. Bush

                                • Michael Grant
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 30, 2002
                                    On 5/30/02 9:17 AM, "Tomás Skront" <skront@...> wrote:

                                    > "misto"

                                    Diky Tomasi!
                                    Michael

                                    --
                                    "You teach a child to read and he or her will be able to pass a literacy
                                    test."

                                    George W. Bush, Townsend, Tennessee
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Jun 4, 2002
                                      Talking of Slovak, I once compiled a list of some Slovak words that
                                      differ markedly from their Czech counterparts. Additions welcome as
                                      are comments on frequency, usage, style etc.

                                      M.

                                      Ba'bka - loutka
                                      Bani'k - horni'k
                                      Bitu'nok - jatky
                                      Bravc^ove' - vepr^ove'
                                      Ceruzka - tuz^ka
                                      Cintori'n - hr^bitov
                                      C^uc^oriedky - boru'vky
                                      Gazda - hospoda'r^
                                      Golier - li'mec
                                      Gombi'k - knofli'k
                                      Hydina - dru'bez^
                                      Iba - jen, sotva
                                      Kefa - karta'c^
                                      Kli'nec - hr^ebi'k
                                      Korc^ul^a - brusle
                                      Korytnac^ka - z^elva
                                      Kr'del^ - sta'do, hejno, houf
                                      Len - jen
                                      Lopta - mi'c^
                                      Mac^ka - koc^ka
                                      Majer - dvu'r, statek
                                      Marhul^a - merun^ka
                                      Mas^kurta - pamlsek
                                      Morka - kru'ta
                                      Mu'r - zed^
                                      Najme'' - zejmena
                                      Naozaj - opravdu, jiste
                                      Napriek - navzdor
                                      Neskory' - pozdni'
                                      Oblic^ky - ledviny
                                      Oblok - okno
                                      Okrem - krome^
                                      Oldoma's^ - pitka, litkup
                                      Olovrant - odpoledni svac^ina
                                      Osobitny' - zvla's^tni'
                                      Osoz^ny' - uz^itec^ny'
                                      Os^i'pana' - prase, krmni'k
                                      Pa'c^it^ sa - li'bit se
                                      Paradajky - rajc^ata
                                      Pec^iatka - razi'tko
                                      Pery - rty
                                      Platn^a - gramofonova' deska
                                      Poc^as - be^hem, za
                                      Podujatie - podni'k
                                      Ponuka - nabi'dka
                                      Poz^ic^at' - pu'jc^it
                                      Preteky - za'vody
                                      Preva'dzka - provoz
                                      Priezvisko - pr^i'jmeni'
                                      Ran^ajky - sni'dane^
                                      Ra'tat' - poc^i'tat
                                      Riad - na'dobi'
                                      Rokovat' - jednat
                                      Skrutka - s^roub
                                      Sla'c^ikovy' orchestr - smyc^covy' orchestr
                                      Sma''d - z^i'zen^
                                      Soba's^ - svatba
                                      Soma'r - osel, mezek
                                      Spra'vat' sa - chovat se
                                      S^pik - morek
                                      T^archa - ti'ha, ti'z^e
                                      T^ava - velbloud
                                      Tien^ovy' - sti'novy'
                                      Tlac^ivo - tiskopis
                                      To iste' - tote'z^, tente'z^
                                      Tovar - goods
                                      Trovy - na'klady
                                      Vankus^ - pols^ta'r^
                                      Vidiek - venkov
                                      Vplyv - vliv
                                      Vra'tene - vc^etne^
                                      Vrecko - kapsa
                                      Vykynoz^it - vyhubit, znic^it
                                      Vy'nimka - vyji'mka
                                      Vy'tlac^ok - vy'tisk
                                      Zemiaky - brambory
                                      Z^rebovanie - losova'ni'
                                      Z^uvac^ka - z^vykac^ka
                                      Zvys^ok - zbytek
                                    • Helga Humlova
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Jun 4, 2002
                                        Not to forget the months, which probably isn't that much of a hassle for
                                        English speakers. Don't ask me to put them down in Slovak, but they do not
                                        use the Czech words they use modifications of GER/ENG months.
                                        H.

[...]

                                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                      • Petr Jarolím
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Jun 4, 2002
                                          zmrzacit = dokalicit
                                          lahev = flasa
                                          hribe = zrieba
                                          angrest = egres
                                          pusinka = papulka
                                          jakost, kvalita = akost
                                          babatko = mimino
                                          kojit = dojcit
                                          venkovni= vonkajsi
                                          kostka = kocka
                                          hmla = mlha
                                          pazerak= jicen
                                          cencul = rampouch
                                          nabidka = ponuka
                                          hradsk� = silnice
                                          mse = omsa
                                          topanky =boty
                                          nohavice = kalhoty
                                          zeriav = jerab
                                          tryskac = prudove lietadlo
                                          rasca = kmin
                                          batozina = zavazadlo
                                          libat = bozkat
                                          strevo = crevo
                                          tuknout si = strngnut si
                                          dopis = list
                                          slunicko sedmitecne = lienka sedembodkova
                                          pytel... = vreco, vrecko, vrecusko