Re: [Czechlist] advetising slogan

  • JNewton149@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2000
      In a message dated 31/May/2000 17:02:04 GMT Daylight Time, amoeba@...
      writes:

      > "Tak trochu" = "Just a..."

      John N
    • amoeba@volny.cz
      Message 2 of 8 , May 31, 2000
        thanks

        > In a message dated 31/May/2000 17:02:04 GMT Daylight Time,
        > amoeba@... writes:

        > "Tak trochu" = "Just a..."

        John N
        > Hot off the press- summer's here!
        School's out and it's sizzling hot.> Whether you're planning a
        graduation party, a summer brunch, or simple> birthday party,
        shop GreatEntertaining.com before your next> celebration.
        http://click.egroups.com/1/4473/6/_/628910/_/959790363/> -------------------------------------------------------------------------

        KZ Meeting info
        http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/cube2.html>
        Czech<>English translation resources page:> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/Intro.html

        http://www.egroups.com/messages/Czechlist

        Czechlist> homepage:
        http://www.egroups.com/group/Czechlist

        Community email> addresses:
        Post message: Czechlist@egroups.com
        Subscribe: > Czechlist-subscribe@egroups.com
        Digest: > Czechlist-digest@egroups.com
      • Melvyn Clarke
        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2000
          Marcela wrote:

          I guess all of you are already drinking your beers and stuff, but just in
          case someone is logged on - any ideas on "Tak trochu p��telsk� restaurace" -
          the slogan of McDonald's. We all know how different they are, but anything
          that would capture the "je-ne-sais-quoi" of "tak trochu" would be
          appreciated.

          Hello Marcela,

          Am barely in a fit state to respond ....after all the beers and stuff...
          with Slavka, Simon, Rachel, Tom, JOe, Vit, Gerry, Martin T. ...and all the
          lurkers...but I shall....make one last... supreme effort to answer your
          query...before I expire on the floor...apologies for my lack of lucidity...

          I used to have a very nice exercise for my advanced students in which I
          tested their knowledge of characters from literature occurring in everyday
          language with sentences like:

          He's a bit of a Rip van Winkle
          He's something of a Billy Bunter
          He's rather a Scrooge
          etc

          And my students usually said that "tak trochu" is the nearest Czech
          equivalent for all of these phrases. Hais Hodek bears them out with
          "something of a" and even though it doesn't in the case of "rather a", I
          feel that that might fit quite well.

          Expiring,

          Melvyn

          FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
        • TRAVNICKOVA Hana
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000
            And what about ""sort of" or "kind of" for the Czech "tak trochu"?
            Hana

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000
              >He's something of a Billy Bunter

              Never heard of 'im.
              Michael

              Tel. (+1-817) 577-5239, Fax (817) 514-6413
            • Otto Pacholik
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2000
                Mam zase jeden dotaz. Nevite nekdo, co znamena Trivia game. Je to nejaky
                specialni druh pocitacovych her nebo doopravdy jenom obycejna hra?

                Diky predem.

                Preji vam vsem krasny den.

                Otto
              • Michael Grant
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2000
                  >Mam zase jeden dotaz. Nevite nekdo, co znamena Trivia game. Je to nejaky
                  >specialni druh pocitacovych her nebo doopravdy jenom obycejna hra?

                  Jde o spolecenskou hru, ve ktere hraci maji odpovidat na otazky,
                  tykajici se nejruznejsich "trivialnich" temat, napriklad hercu ze
                  starych televiznich serii, mody, popularni hudby, sportu atd. Otazky
                  se obvykle ctou z lepenkovych karet.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2000
                    Thanks to Melvyn and his Hana for their efforts and organisation of the very
                    enjoyable meeting in Kamenne Zehrovice we had yesterday.

                    It was a real pleasure to see you all again.

                    Have a nice, sunny Sunday!

                    Otto