Re: TERM: Czechia - Cesko

  • David Fuchs
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 1999
      On Czechia & Cesko
      It is good to discuss what flavour this or that particular word has for
      each of us. To me personally the word "Czechia" still sounds much more
      acceptable than the officially approved "Cesko". As regards the latter, I
      have never let it out from my mouth, horrified by the sour taste of a
      malapropian adverb. Yet from the linguistic point of view, I must admit that
      it does not break any word-formation rules and is probably the only way of
      getting round the clumsy "Czech Republic". Further to that end, why should
      we Czechs say "Polsko" (Poland), "Rusko" (Russia), "Nemecko" (Germany) etc.
      etc., but "Czech Republic"? Christ! Even our historically closest neighbours
      have their "Slovensko" (Slovakia)! Shall we Czechs be so stubborn and never
      adopt what - lingustically - seems so perfectly justified?
      Being Czech down to the marrow of my bones, and not a native English
      speaker, I can only guess at the level of disgust "Czechia" produces in
      natives, but do you really think that using "Czech" as a substantive is any
      better? Or do we possibly have some other options? I will be most grateful
      to have your best opinions on this one.
      I am sure most of you did follow the passionate debate in Czech media
      some time ago when "Cesko" was first introduced. I am also sure that some of
      the people who were originally declaiming against the expression now use it,
      although I myself still feel reluctant to do so. My personal prediction
      would be that "Cesko" will eventually take root and I am genuinely curious
      to know what the English version of it will be!

      David

      -----P�vodn� zpr�va-----
      Od: Alastair Millar <alastair@...>
      Komu: Czechlist@onelist.com <Czechlist@onelist.com>
      Datum: 3. prosince 1999 9:27
      P�edm�t: Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Czechia

      >From: "Alastair Millar" <alastair@...>
      >
      >It was written thus:
      >
      >>Ugh, can we please ban the word "Czechia"?
      >
      >Hear hear!
      >The horrible "Czechia" seems to be a form used mainly by our German
      cousins.
      >It's only a short step from this to adopting their (equally awful) "handy"
      >for mobile phones...
      >
      >Alastair
    • Kostas Zgafas
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 1999
        On Czechia & Cesko
        It is good to discuss what flavour this or that particular word has for each of us. To me personally the word "Czechia" still sounds much more acceptable than the officially approved "Cesko".

        I must admit I do not understand: can you specify, please: when you say "Czechia", do you mean by this the English version of Cechie? When you say Cesko, which English version of it do you have in your mind? Czechland? I would propose to everybody to follow this discussion always quoting the pair: Czech version - English version to avoid confusion.

        Kostas
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 1999
          >I can only guess at the level of disgust "Czechia" produces in
          >natives, but do you really think that using "Czech" as a substantive
          >is any better?

          Almost (but not quite) as bad as "Czechia".

          >Or do we possibly have some other options?

          Czechistan?

          Michael
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 1999
            >I would propose to everybody to follow this discussion always
            >quoting the pair: Czech version - English version to avoid confusion.

            But there's not necessarily a one-to-one correspondence. I think most
            of the messages so far have made a vague correspondence between
            pseudo-English "Czechia" and Czech "Cesko", but as you rightly point
            out "Czechia" could also = "Cechie".

            Czechistan, substituting C< for Cz and maybe � for a, works equally
            well in both languages. ;-)

            Michael
          • BNovotna@xxx.xxx

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 1999
                >Does not "-stan" refer to lands of Islamic origin?

                Don't tell that to someone from Hindustan!

                >Blanka
                >
                >Czechistan, substituting C< for Cz and maybe � for a, works equally
                >well in both languages. ;-)

                Funny how my accented a turned into an s-hacek at your end. I guess
                I'd better avoid accents as well as haceks in my e-mail.

                Michael
              • Irena Steinerová
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 4, 1999
                  >Does not "-stan" refer to lands of Islamic origin?

                  But what about Kurdistan, Afghanistan - and Absurdistan? (The last one seems
                  to be quite appropriate name for this country anyway...)
                  Personally, I don't like Cesko - it sounds like Tesco or Pesko (dog-food
                  store chain), but I am afraid we will (have to) get used to it. On the other
                  hand, we have Slezsko and nobody has any objection to it.
                  Czechland is better, but it evokes Disneyland to me.
                  Irena
                  >>Community email addresses:
                  > Post message: Czechlist@onelist.com
                  > Subscribe: Czechlist-subscribe@onelist.com
                  >
                  >Shortcut URL to this page:
                  > http://www.onelist.com/community/Czechlist

                • Michael Grant
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 4, 1999
                    >Czechland is better, but it evokes Disneyland to me.

                    Parts of Prague in the summer remind me of Disneyland anyway....
                    Michael