Ajznbon story - Czech help req'd

    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2002
      While discussing Melvyn's excellent railway adventures and my humble
      suggestions for their "pocesteni", we came upon the term NEPOTISM:

      Melvyn: 'nepotism' usually refers to a well-placed uncle or second cousin
      pulling a few strings for you. 'Nepotism' is commonly used and
      understood in Britain, I'd say.

      Do we have an universal-ambiguous and "official" sounding word for this in
      Czech? Protekce is the only one that springs to mind, but it isn't exactly
      that, is it?

      here's the sentence in question:

      Ajznbonaci jsou u nas zvlastni kasta. Casto mezi sebou uzaviraji snatky a
      jeste casteji mimosnatkove pomery, a nepotismus hraje ve vsem ohromnou ulohu
      (nejde o to, co znas ale koho znas).

      Matej
    • tomas_barendregt
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2002
        Hi Matej,

        I think that 'nepotismus' is getting gradually accepted in Czech
        official/journalist style. I researched this two years ago when I
        translated an article on Indonesia and based on my research decided
        to use 'nepotismus' in my translation. I could not find any other one-
        word equivalent but would think that 'protezovani pribuznych' is a
        good one.

        BTW, in the sentence you quoted, I am not quite sure if nepotism is
        the right word as I understand it to be limited to special favors and
        promotions offered to one's family members and not to acquaintances
        with other types of ties (which the sentence implies). But perhaps
        that is too narrow an understanding?

        Tom
        Message 3 of 8 , May 6, 2002
          Sure we have. Nepotismus.
          see http://kna.cz/encyklopedie.php?id_select=618

          (I've also heard "rodinkareni", but that one is less formal.)

          HTH

          > While discussing Melvyn's excellent railway adventures and my humble
          > suggestions for their "pocesteni", we came upon the term NEPOTISM:
          >
          > Melvyn: 'nepotism' usually refers to a well-placed uncle or second cousin
          > pulling a few strings for you. 'Nepotism' is commonly used and
          > understood in Britain, I'd say.
          >
          > Do we have an universal-ambiguous and "official" sounding word for this in
          > Czech? Protekce is the only one that springs to mind, but it isn't exactly
          > that, is it?
          >
          > here's the sentence in question:
          >
          > Ajznbonaci jsou u nas zvlastni kasta. Casto mezi sebou uzaviraji snatky a
          > jeste casteji mimosnatkove pomery, a nepotismus hraje ve vsem ohromnou
          ulohu
          > (nejde o to, co znas ale koho znas).
          >
          > Matej

        • Tony Long
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2002
            Can't help with the Czech, but the kind of bootlicking, mutual
            backscratching, abuse of privilege and general corruption associated with
            rank is known in BrEng as 'jobbery' - go to www.spectator.com and back a few
            issues and you'll find an excellent analysis of slimeball Blair's use of
            jobbery to destroy the last surviving shreds of decency in the British civil
            service.

            Best

            Tony
            Message 5 of 8 , May 6, 2002
              --- In Czechlist@y..., "tomas_barendregt" <barendregt@e...> wrote:
              > BTW, in the sentence you quoted, I am not quite sure if nepotism is
              > the right word as I understand it to be limited to special favors
              and
              > promotions offered to one's family members

              Hi T.,

              That is what I primarily had in mind when I originally wrote that
              piece:

            • Jaroslav Hejzlar
              Message 6 of 8 , May 7, 2002
                Hi, all!
                I have also come across the word "janabrachismus" (in Fronek's Velky C-A
                slovnik) rendered as "logrolling", but I don't thik it would be the best
                equivalent and what is more I do not like the Czech word either.
                Jarda Hejzlar

                Message 7 of 8 , May 8, 2002
                  I actually quite like this one, eventhough it might not be the exact concept
                  Melvyn described (this is more like You'll scratch my back, I'll scratch
                  yours) - I might use it in the story - what do you think, Melvyn?

                  Matej

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 8, 2002

                    --- In Czechlist@y..., "Matej Klimes" <mklimes@m...> wrote:
                    > I actually quite like this one, eventhough it might not be the exact
                    concept Melvyn described (this is more like You'll scratch my back,
                    I'll scratch
                    > yours) - I might use it in the story - what do you think, Melvyn?
                    >
                    > Matej

                    Well on the one hand the style of the piece is meant to be discursive
                    and conversational so it surely doesn't have to follow any rigorous
                    logic (?), but then on the other hand janabrachismus does have a nice
                    ring to it - if it is not too much of a stylistic leap...? I often get
                    told off for jumping from spisovny to hovorovy vocabulary and then
                    back again in a single Czech sentence. When I explain that it can
                    sound humorous in English I am told it sounds yucky in Czech and that
                    I should keep to a consistent style in each sentence at least.