Re: Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Stavebni denik

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2002
      The "site" term is apparently one of the BE/AE distinctions that is important, because the British will probably understand the term "construction" used in this context (even if it might sound odd to some of them), but Americans are less likely to understand "site" as meaning a construction site. (An expression like "working on the sites" is meaningless in American English, as far as I know.) So, this is one of those situations where you'd have to determine the probable nationality of your readership, choose British if they are British, American if they are American, and opt for maximum transparency if they could be either.

      I was interested in how "log" could have come to sound Star Trekky, since sea captains have been keeping logs since at least the 14th century. But I guess those guys don't show up on TV as often. :-)

      Jamie
    • Alena Ockova
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2002
        --- Tomá¹ Skøont <skront@...> wrote: > I
        would like to know your preferences for
        > translations of the above term. My
        > experience is: the more sources, the more
        > translations. Millennium, for
        > example, states "builder´s diary" or "site diary". I
        > came accross "site
        > logbook" and "construction journal" as well.

        When financing a project/construction the bank I was
        with required the "logbook" to be presented alongside
        other documentation in order to disburse the loan.
        Alena

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      • Tropen
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2002
          Hi,
          Anybody could give me a suggestion on how to deal with these terms?

          1. "shrink-wrap" or "click-wrap" license = "pribalena" ci "pripojena"
          licence
          2. Flow-Down License Terms (Terms of Use) = Predane licencni podminky
          (podminky pouziti)

          Context:
          Licensee agrees also to email to xxx the text of the "shrink wrap" or "click
          wrap" license that Licensee will be using for licensing and distribution of
          the xxx Software, as well as any packaging that may be associated with the
          xxx Application

          Flow-Down License Terms (Terms of Use)
          Licensee agrees that the xxx Software and xxx Application will be
          distributed only with a "shrink-wrap" or "click-wrap" license that includes
          the terms and conditions set forth on Schedule D to this Agreement
          ("Flow-Down License Terms").

          Many thanks,

          Josef