Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Stavebni denik

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2002
      In a message dated 5/2/02 8:43:15 AM, skront@... writes:

      >I would like to know your preferences for translations of the above term.
      >My experience is: the more sources, the more translations. Millennium, for
      >example, states "builder´s diary" or "site diary". I came accross "site
      >logbook" and "construction journal" as well.

      "Diary" sounds too much like it denotes a literary activity.
      "Site" means place, but does not necessarily indicate that there is any
      construction happening there.
      "Construction journal" is possible, I think, but better to my ears sounds
      "construction log", since a log is a book containing daily reports of work
      progress and procedures. It is where they log the events of the day.

      Jamie
    • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2002
        > >I would like to know your preferences for translations of the above term.
        > >My experience is: the more sources, the more translations. Millennium,
        for
        > >example, states "builder´s diary" or "site diary". I came accross "site
        > >logbook" and "construction journal" as well.
        >
        > "Diary" sounds too much like it denotes a literary activity.
        > "Site" means place, but does not necessarily indicate that there is any
        > construction happening there.
        > "Construction journal" is possible, I think, but better to my ears sounds
        > "construction log", since a log is a book containing daily reports of work
        > progress and procedures. It is where they log the events of the day.
        >
        > Jamie

        I personally prefer "site diary". "Construction log" sounds a bit too Star
        Trekky to me . I think it's a BE/AE thing but IMO "site" is regularly used
        as shorthand for a building/constuction site. Where I come from, the phrase
        "working on the sites" is probably interchangeable with "working in
        construction". Like many of my compatriots, I actually spent a short time
        "hoddying" on a building site and AFAICR, the site diary is simply a book in
        which the day's work is recorded so that it can be inspected by the "the
        suits", i.e. the project manager, investor, etc. Any incidents such as
        accidents, setbacks, etc. are also recorded.

        FWIW, on the site I was on, it was usually only referred to as "the book".

        HTH

        Coilin
      • Rubková
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2002
          I saw "construction journal", "building log book " even "field order" for
          what we call "stavební deník".

          Sarka

          > >I would like to know your preferences for translations of the above term.
          > >My experience is: the more sources, the more translations. Millennium,
          for
          > >example, states "builder´s diary" or "site diary". I came accross "site
          > >logbook" and "construction journal" as well.
          >
          > "Diary" sounds too much like it denotes a literary activity.
          > "Site" means place, but does not necessarily indicate that there is any
          > construction happening there.
          > "Construction journal" is possible, I think, but better to my ears sounds
          > "construction log", since a log is a book containing daily reports of work
          > progress and procedures. It is where they log the events of the day.
          >
          > Jamie

          I personally prefer "site diary". "Construction log" sounds a bit too Star
          Trekky to me . I think it's a BE/AE thing but IMO "site" is regularly used
          as shorthand for a building/constuction site. Where I come from, the phrase
          "working on the sites" is probably interchangeable with "working in
          construction". Like many of my compatriots, I actually spent a short time
          "hoddying" on a building site and AFAICR, the site diary is simply a book in
          which the day's work is recorded so that it can be inspected by the "the
          suits", i.e. the project manager, investor, etc. Any incidents such as
          accidents, setbacks, etc. are also recorded.

          FWIW, on the site I was on, it was usually only referred to as "the book".

          HTH

          Coilin

          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

          ---
          Pøíchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

          ---
          Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
        • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2002
            The "site" term is apparently one of the BE/AE distinctions that is important, because the British will probably understand the term "construction" used in this context (even if it might sound odd to some of them), but Americans are less likely to understand "site" as meaning a construction site. (An expression like "working on the sites" is meaningless in American English, as far as I know.) So, this is one of those situations where you'd have to determine the probable nationality of your readership, choose British if they are British, American if they are American, and opt for maximum transparency if they could be either.

            I was interested in how "log" could have come to sound Star Trekky, since sea captains have been keeping logs since at least the 14th century. But I guess those guys don't show up on TV as often. :-)

            Jamie
          • Alena Ockova
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2002
              --- Tomá¹ Skøont <skront@...> wrote: > I
              would like to know your preferences for
              > translations of the above term. My
              > experience is: the more sources, the more
              > translations. Millennium, for
              > example, states "builder´s diary" or "site diary". I
              > came accross "site
              > logbook" and "construction journal" as well.

              When financing a project/construction the bank I was
              with required the "logbook" to be presented alongside
              other documentation in order to disburse the loan.
              Alena

              http://uk.my.yahoo.com
            • Tropen
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2002
                Hi,
                Anybody could give me a suggestion on how to deal with these terms?

                1. "shrink-wrap" or "click-wrap" license = "pribalena" ci "pripojena"
                licence
                2. Flow-Down License Terms (Terms of Use) = Predane licencni podminky
                (podminky pouziti)

                Context:
                Licensee agrees also to email to xxx the text of the "shrink wrap" or "click
                wrap" license that Licensee will be using for licensing and distribution of
                the xxx Software, as well as any packaging that may be associated with the
                xxx Application

                Flow-Down License Terms (Terms of Use)
                Licensee agrees that the xxx Software and xxx Application will be
                distributed only with a "shrink-wrap" or "click-wrap" license that includes
                the terms and conditions set forth on Schedule D to this Agreement
                ("Flow-Down License Terms").

                Many thanks,

                Josef