TERM: Stavebni denik

  • Tomáš Skřont
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2002
      I would like to know your preferences for translations of the above term. My
      experience is: the more sources, the more translations. Millennium, for
      example, states "builder´s diary" or "site diary". I came accross "site
      logbook" and "construction journal" as well.

      I am looking forward to your suggestions and explantations. Maybe it would
      fine, if Melvyn could contribute with his popular "Linde" translations.
      Thanks in advance.

      Best regards,

      Tomas Skront
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2002
        In a message dated 5/2/02 8:43:15 AM, skront@... writes:

        >I would like to know your preferences for translations of the above term.
        >My experience is: the more sources, the more translations. Millennium, for
        >example, states "builder´s diary" or "site diary". I came accross "site
        >logbook" and "construction journal" as well.

        "Diary" sounds too much like it denotes a literary activity.
        "Site" means place, but does not necessarily indicate that there is any
        construction happening there.
        "Construction journal" is possible, I think, but better to my ears sounds
        "construction log", since a log is a book containing daily reports of work
        progress and procedures. It is where they log the events of the day.

        Jamie
      • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2002
          > >I would like to know your preferences for translations of the above term.
          > >My experience is: the more sources, the more translations. Millennium,
          for
          > >example, states "builder´s diary" or "site diary". I came accross "site
          > >logbook" and "construction journal" as well.
          >
          > "Diary" sounds too much like it denotes a literary activity.
          > "Site" means place, but does not necessarily indicate that there is any
          > construction happening there.
          > "Construction journal" is possible, I think, but better to my ears sounds
          > "construction log", since a log is a book containing daily reports of work
          > progress and procedures. It is where they log the events of the day.
          >
          > Jamie

          I personally prefer "site diary". "Construction log" sounds a bit too Star
          Trekky to me . I think it's a BE/AE thing but IMO "site" is regularly used
          as shorthand for a building/constuction site. Where I come from, the phrase
          "working on the sites" is probably interchangeable with "working in
          construction". Like many of my compatriots, I actually spent a short time
          "hoddying" on a building site and AFAICR, the site diary is simply a book in
          which the day's work is recorded so that it can be inspected by the "the
          suits", i.e. the project manager, investor, etc. Any incidents such as
          accidents, setbacks, etc. are also recorded.

          FWIW, on the site I was on, it was usually only referred to as "the book".

          HTH

          Coilin
        • Rubková
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2002
            I saw "construction journal", "building log book " even "field order" for
            what we call "stavební deník".

            Sarka

            > >I would like to know your preferences for translations of the above term.
            > >My experience is: the more sources, the more translations. Millennium,
            for
            > >example, states "builder´s diary" or "site diary". I came accross "site
            > >logbook" and "construction journal" as well.
            >
            > "Diary" sounds too much like it denotes a literary activity.
            > "Site" means place, but does not necessarily indicate that there is any
            > construction happening there.
            > "Construction journal" is possible, I think, but better to my ears sounds
            > "construction log", since a log is a book containing daily reports of work
            > progress and procedures. It is where they log the events of the day.
            >
            > Jamie

            I personally prefer "site diary". "Construction log" sounds a bit too Star
            Trekky to me . I think it's a BE/AE thing but IMO "site" is regularly used
            as shorthand for a building/constuction site. Where I come from, the phrase
            "working on the sites" is probably interchangeable with "working in
            construction". Like many of my compatriots, I actually spent a short time
            "hoddying" on a building site and AFAICR, the site diary is simply a book in
            which the day's work is recorded so that it can be inspected by the "the
            suits", i.e. the project manager, investor, etc. Any incidents such as
            accidents, setbacks, etc. are also recorded.

            FWIW, on the site I was on, it was usually only referred to as "the book".

            HTH

            Coilin

            Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

            ---
            Pøíchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

            ---
            Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
          • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2002
              The "site" term is apparently one of the BE/AE distinctions that is important, because the British will probably understand the term "construction" used in this context (even if it might sound odd to some of them), but Americans are less likely to understand "site" as meaning a construction site. (An expression like "working on the sites" is meaningless in American English, as far as I know.) So, this is one of those situations where you'd have to determine the probable nationality of your readership, choose British if they are British, American if they are American, and opt for maximum transparency if they could be either.

              I was interested in how "log" could have come to sound Star Trekky, since sea captains have been keeping logs since at least the 14th century. But I guess those guys don't show up on TV as often. :-)

              Jamie
            • Alena Ockova
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2002
                --- Tomá¹ Skøont <skront@...> wrote: > I
                would like to know your preferences for
                > translations of the above term. My
                > experience is: the more sources, the more
                > translations. Millennium, for
                > example, states "builder´s diary" or "site diary". I
                > came accross "site
                > logbook" and "construction journal" as well.

                When financing a project/construction the bank I was
                with required the "logbook" to be presented alongside
                other documentation in order to disburse the loan.
                Alena

                http://uk.my.yahoo.com
              • Tropen
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2002
                  Hi,
                  Anybody could give me a suggestion on how to deal with these terms?

                  1. "shrink-wrap" or "click-wrap" license = "pribalena" ci "pripojena"
                  licence
                  2. Flow-Down License Terms (Terms of Use) = Predane licencni podminky
                  (podminky pouziti)

                  Context:
                  Licensee agrees also to email to xxx the text of the "shrink wrap" or "click
                  wrap" license that Licensee will be using for licensing and distribution of
                  the xxx Software, as well as any packaging that may be associated with the
                  xxx Application

                  Flow-Down License Terms (Terms of Use)
                  Licensee agrees that the xxx Software and xxx Application will be
                  distributed only with a "shrink-wrap" or "click-wrap" license that includes
                  the terms and conditions set forth on Schedule D to this Agreement
                  ("Flow-Down License Terms").

                  Many thanks,

                  Josef