Rates for translation

  • Tony Long
    Message 1 of 13 , May 1, 2002
      On 4/30/02 11:09 AM, "karel6005" <karel6005@...> wrote:

      > Anybody could give me an experience-based suggestion on how to charge
      > for a job where isolated terms (like customs tariff items or so) are
      > translated? How much per word (no text, only isolated terms) would be
      > appropriate e.g. in the UK (US)?

      We charge a 'call-out rate' or 'threshold fee' or whatever you want to call
      it. Up to the first standard page, the rate is 250-400 crowns, depending on
      our relationship with the client. If the research looks like taking us past
      the hour mark, I ring the client and haggle for an hourly rate. With 'bitty'
      jobs that look as if they'll need a good deal of research (for example, we
      recently did the literature for a Slavkov hotel and restaurant, from menus
      through potted history to special offers for coach trips - full of tabulated
      high-research items), I negotiate a rate for the whole job, based on my
      estimate of how long it will take and how much I would earn in that time
      teaching (around 300 an hour).

      Hope this helps

      Best

      Tony
    • Tropen
      Message 2 of 13 , May 3, 2002
        Hi,
        anybody knows, how to translate "Initial Term"?
        IMO, it should be "termín parafování" - I have never seen something like
        this before, therefore, I would like to ask somebody. Thanks!

        Josef

        Context:
        The Agreement will be in effect for two License Years (24 months) from the
        Effective Date ("Initial Term") and shall be automatically extended for
        additional License Years thereafter indefinitely unless terminated as
        provided for in this Agreement.

        Smlouva zůstává v platnosti po dobu dvou licenčních let (24 měsíců) od Data
        vstoupení v platnost ("Termín parafování") a pak bude automaticky
        prodloužena o další licenční roky na neurčito, až do jejího ukončení jak je
        v této Smlouvě ustanoveno.
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 13 , May 3, 2002
          On 5/3/02 11:13 AM, "Tropen" <yoschin@...> wrote:

          > anybody knows, how to translate "Initial Term"?
          > IMO, it should be "termín parafování" - I have never seen something like
          > this before, therefore, I would like to ask somebody. Thanks!

          "Initial" in this case just means "first" or "beginning", i.e. the first two
          years of the contract, which can be extended therafter.

          Michael

          --
          "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
          - C.S. Lewis
          Message 4 of 13 , May 5, 2002
            Hi Michael,
            thanks a lot. I did not realize it.
            Best regards,

            Josef

            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2002
              Dear colleagues,
              anybody can help me with the translation of the following term?

              Except with regard to the provisions regarding = S vyjimkou hlediska
              ustanoveni tykajiciho se prav dusevniho... (I am not sure at all)

              CONTEXT:
              Except with regard to the provisions regarding Intellectual Property Rights
              or with regard to the copying, use or disclosure of the XXX, the XXX, Data
              supplied by XXX, Tag IDs, or TOC in violation of the terms of this
              Agreement, neither party will be liable for lost profits, lost savings or
              other incidental, consequential, punitive, special, or exemplary damages.

              Many thanks!

              Josef
              Message 6 of 13 , May 9, 2002
                S vyjimkou ustanoveni o ...(upravujicich... nebo teda tykajiciho se, no )

                > anybody can help me with the translation of the following term?
                >

                > Except with regard to the provisions regarding = S vyjimkou hlediska
                > ustanoveni tykajiciho se prav dusevniho... (I am not sure at all)
                >

                > CONTEXT:
                > Except with regard to the provisions regarding Intellectual Property
                Rights
                > or with regard to the copying, use or disclosure of the XXX, the XXX, Data
                > supplied by XXX, Tag IDs, or TOC in violation of the terms of this
                > Agreement, neither party will be liable for lost profits, lost savings or
                > other incidental, consequential, punitive, special, or exemplary damages.
                >
                > Many thanks!
                >
                > Josef

              • ottop1
                Message 7 of 13 , May 9, 2002
                  > Except with regard to the provisions regarding = S vyjimkou
                  hlediska
                  > ustanoveni tykajiciho se prav dusevniho... (I am not sure at all)

                  I'd say:

                  S vyjimkou ustanoveni ohledne prav dusevniho vlastnictvi …

                  Otto
                • Erik Piper
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 9, 2002
                    Hi Josef,

                    You could use the following sentences in (non-legal) English to say the same
                    thing:

                    Normally, neither party will be liable for lost profits, lost savings or
                    other incidental, consequential, punitive, special, or exemplary damages.
                    But there are some lost profits, etc. for which a party IS liable.
                    A party IS liable if it causes lost profits, etc. by:
                    -- breaking the stipulations in the provision regarding Intellectual
                    Property Rights or by copying, using, or
                    -- disclosing the XXX, XXX, Data supplied by XXX, Tag IDs, or TOC in
                    violation of the terms of this Agreement.

                    Erik d'Issordia

                    anybody can help me with the translation of the following term?

                    Except with regard to the provisions regarding = S vyjimkou hlediska
                    ustanoveni tykajiciho se prav dusevniho... (I am not sure at all)

                    CONTEXT:
                    Except with regard to the provisions regarding Intellectual Property Rights
                    or with regard to the copying, use or disclosure of the XXX, the XXX, Data
                    supplied by XXX, Tag IDs, or TOC in violation of the terms of this
                    Agreement, neither party will be liable for lost profits, lost savings or
                    other incidental, consequential, punitive, special, or exemplary damages.

                    Many thanks!

                    Josef
                    ---------------orig-----------
                    ---
                    Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                    Verze: 6.0.350 / Virová báze: 196 - datum vydání: 4/17/02
                  • Tropen
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 10, 2002
                      Hi,
                      I am not sure what the following term means:

                      ...the end of the fourth full first calendar quarter...
                      PROPOSITION:
                      ... konecem ctvrtiny prvniho kalendarniho kvartalu...

                      CONTEXT:
                      In this Schedule, the first "Contract Year" shall consist of the number of
                      days between the Execution Date and the end of the fourth full first
                      calendar quarter during the Term.
                      Each subsequent Contract Year shall consist of the next four calendar
                      quarters.

                      Thank you!

                      JOsef
                    • Tropen
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 10, 2002
                        Thanks Martin!
                        J.

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 10, 2002
                          Dear Josef,

                          > ...the end of the fourth full first calendar quarter...

                          It does sound strange or awkward, but I think you guessed
                          it. I think it means that if the Execution Date (beginning
                          of contract performance) is in the fourth quarter (September
                          through December), the following year will be considered the
                          first Contract Year. If the Execution Date in before the
                          fourth quarter (January through August) the first Contract
                          Year will be that very year.

                          Jirka Bolech
                        • Tropen
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 11, 2002
                            Hi,
                            I think, the point of problem is the following linguistic relation:

                            fourth full fourth / first full first etc.

                            Anybody knows how to translate it please?
                            CONTEXT:
                            - In this Schedule, the first "Contract Year" shall consist of the number of
                            days between the Execution Date and the end of the fourth full first
                            calendar quarter during the Term.
                            - Each subsequent Contract Year shall consist of the next four calendar
                            quarters.
                            - he first "Quarter" of the first Contract Year shall consist of the number
                            of days between the Execution Date and the end of the first full first
                            calendar quarter during the Term.
                            - Each subsequent Quarter shall consist of the next following calendar
                            quarter.

                            Thank you very much!

                            Josef

                            > ...the end of the fourth full first calendar quarter...

                            It does sound strange or awkward, but I think you guessed
                            it. I think it means that if the Execution Date (beginning
                            of contract performance) is in the fourth quarter (September
                            through December), the following year will be considered the
                            first Contract Year. If the Execution Date in before the
                            fourth quarter (January through August) the first Contract
                            Year will be that very year.

                            Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                          • Michael Grant
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 11, 2002
                              On 5/11/02 9:28 AM, "Tropen" <yoschin@...> wrote:

                              > fourth full fourth / first full first etc.
                              >
                              > Anybody knows how to translate it please?
                              > CONTEXT:
                              > - In this Schedule, the first "Contract Year" shall consist of the number of
                              > days between the Execution Date and the end of the fourth full first
                              > calendar quarter during the Term.

                              The base concept in the quote is "first calendar quarter", i.e. January,
                              February and March. If the contract takes effect on, say, February 1, 2001,
                              then January through March of 2001 is not a *full* first calendar quarter,
                              so that the first full first quarter is January through March of 2002 and
                              the fourth full first quarter is Jan.-Mar. of 2005.

                              I hope that's clear. I think a simple literal translation (ctvrte cele/uplne
                              kalendarni ctvrtleti?) will do just fine.

                              Michael

                              A man rushed into the doctor's office and shouted, "Doctor! I think I'm
                              shrinking!" The doctor calmly responded, "Now, settle down. You'll just have
                              to be a little patient."