Rates for translation of isolated terms

  • karel6005
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2002
      Dear colleagues,

      Anybody could give me an experience-based suggestion on how to charge
      for a job where isolated terms (like customs tariff items or so) are
      translated? How much per word (no text, only isolated terms) would be
      appropriate e.g. in the UK (US)?

      (My client is from Luxembourg but I do not expect many Listmates
      coming directly from this this place ;-)

      Many thanks in advance.

      BR

      Karel
    • tomas_barendregt
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2002
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "karel6005" <karel6005@h...> wrote:
        > Dear colleagues,
        >
        > Anybody could give me an experience-based suggestion on how to
        charge
        > for a job where isolated terms (like customs tariff items or so)
        are
        > translated?

        Hi,

        In these cases I usually suggest to my clients that I am paid per
        time spent on this type of work (since it is more of a terminology
        research than translating, really) and then just agree on an hourly
        rate. This has worked fine for me.

        Tom
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2002
          On 4/30/02 11:09 AM, "karel6005" <karel6005@...> wrote:

          > Anybody could give me an experience-based suggestion on how to charge
          > for a job where isolated terms (like customs tariff items or so) are
          > translated? How much per word (no text, only isolated terms) would be
          > appropriate e.g. in the UK (US)?

          An hourly rate is probably the only way to avoid getting burned on something
          like that.

          Michael

          --
          "A journey of a thousand miles does begin with a single step, but it
          continues with the second and third...."

          - Art Palmer