Re: [Czechlist] Pools, glass and little words

  • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel/Coilin
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2000
      >>I would maybe be more inclined to use "panes of glass", but glass plates
      may
      >>be fine. Other offers, anyone?
      >
      >My totally unqualified opinion is that "pane" is used for windows,
      >but not for all-glass walls like you might see on a skyscraper, where
      >I'd probably say "plate glass".
      >
      >Michael

      Yes, I thought of that, but if Kostas is talking about the actual pieces of
      glass (be it plate glass or not), does he not have to use a noun to describe
      the piece of glass, and not just plate as an adjective (sheets of plate
      glass, panes of plate glass, plates of plate glass???) What do you reckon?

      Rachel
    • Skrivanek Prague - Rachel/Coilin
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2000
        >They are "Polykarbonátové desky" in the Czech original. This is what that
        >enclosure consists of.
        >(Polykarbonátové desky in a stainless steel frame)

        Oh, then it should probably just be polycarbonate sheets/sheeting, which is
        quite different to plate glass! I misunderstood you -- I thought it was
        made of glass, not polycarbonate.
        See that website http://www.sundancesupply.com/Pool.html -- it probably has
        all the terms you need!
        Rachel
      • Kostas Zgafas
        Message 3 of 8 , May 30, 2000
          They are "Polykarbonátové desky" in the Czech original. This is what that
          enclosure consists of.
          (Polykarbonátové desky in a stainless steel frame)

          Thank you for your help.

          Kostas

          Message 4 of 8 , May 30, 2000
            By the way Kostas, I didn't mean to insult you by saying that polycarbonate
            and plate glass are completely different -- I know full well you understand
            the difference, and that to all intents and purposes polycarbonate sheets
            behave like glass (except polycarbonate polymers make much lighter and
            stronger sheets, don't they?). So don't be offended!
            Rachel
          • Kostas Zgafas
            Message 5 of 8 , May 30, 2000
              > >They are "Polykarbonátové desky" in the Czech original. This is what that
              > >enclosure consists of.
              > >(Polykarbonátové desky in a stainless steel frame)
              > >
              > Oh, then it should probably just be polycarbonate sheets/sheeting, which
              is
              > quite different to plate glass! I misunderstood you -- I thought it was
              > made of glass, not polycarbonate.

              I apologize for not having been clear enough, I did not want to complicate
              the issue by introducing the word "polycarbonate". It is thick material, of
              the same look and consistency to glass, so I assumed that pieces of
              polycarbonate would have the same name as pieces of glass.

              Thank you again,

              Kostas

              Message 6 of 8 , May 30, 2000
                Dear Rachel:

                I think this is just some misunderstanding, I do not understand why you
                think that I feel offended. No way. To tell the truth, I did not know that
                there is a difference between polycarbonate and glass consistency, that´s
                why I was asking for glass just to put my question simpler for others. Now,
                I understand that polycarbonate is softer, and its products can be bent cold
                on the contrary to glass products. That´s why, I guess, polycarbonate
                products are sheets, while glass ones are panes, or plates. But again, I am
                just discussing the topic without any feeling of being offended.

                Kostas