introduction

  • Irena Steinerová
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 1999
      Hi everybody,
      My name is Irena and I work as a freelance translator/interpreter. I was born in Pezinok, Slovakia (so if you need a help with Slovak expressions, I may remember some), studied in Brno and I have moved to Prague recently. In the meantime, I spent one year in London, one in Boston and translated 6 books (fiction as well as non fiction) from English into Czech. I enjoy my job, although I must say that sometimes it gets rather tiring and time-consuming. But I don't have to go to work every morning at least!
      I am glad I've come across Melvyn's homepage, I find it very useful, because some of the problems listed there are realy tricky (by the way, what would you call "p�ekladatelsk� o���ek" in English?)

      Hope to hear from you soon.
      Irena
    • konf@petrriha.mailshell.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2002
        Hi group,
        listmaster asked newbies to indroduce themselves.
        I'm a part-time translator, registered since 1989 (!), living in Hradec Kralove. As I'm native Czech, I fight with my Czenglish all the time (notices to my mistakes are always appreciated, particularly off-list :).

        I'm enclosing a tip for those who are like me in the next mail.

        Petr Riha, Hradec Kralove
        ---
        >> Slovnik pocitacove informatiky <<
        Online: http://weblexikon.cz
        Knizne: vydavatelství Montanex v cervnu 2002. K dostání u dobrých knihkupců.
      • Gertrude Jicinska
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
          Welcome :-))

          I'm a part-time translator

          G.J.
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
            --- In Czechlist@y..., konf@p... wrote:
            >listmaster asked newbies to indroduce themselves.

            Oh yeah, right. Hi Petr. Thanks for the intro and I hope you make
            yourself at home here.

            > I fight with my Czenglish all the time (notices
            >to my mistakes are always appreciated, particularly off-list :).

            OK it can be arranged.

            Any other newbies out there? (Dmitri, are you leaving us so soon? Is
            it something that we said :-(?) Do drop us a line sometime and tell
            us a bit about yourselves and/or tell us some of your more
            interesting language problems (though see below). Don't be shy -
            Czechlisters don't normally bite.

            ?

            When replying to messages, do make sure you CUT OUT ALL SUPERFLUOUS
            MATERIAL QUOTED FROM PREVIOUS MESSAGES. It can be a real drag
            scrolling through all that stuff.

            Before you send us a query, check out the Czechlist archive (with
            over 11,000 messages) to make sure we haven't dealt with it already.
            And have you researched the problem first on the search engines, e.g.
            www.google.com? I'm sure that Helga, our Google guru, will give you a
            few tips on research techniques :-). Give us as much relevant context
            as you can. If there is no context, at least give us a few clues
            about the type of text you are dealing with (e.g. is it German
            English?), otherwise your query may well be ignored.

            For more information, check out the Czechlist FAQ on:

            <http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/7953/newfaq.html>

            Have I left anything out of this welcome message??

            Look forward to hearing from some of you soon.

            Melvyn (sunning himself on the Costa del Krkonose)

            ---
            Love is a mere strategem of the Will to Power.
            - L. Klima
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
              Yep, an old fashioned, matter-of course but still surprisingly often ignored
              custom - to send a THANK YOU note once my query has been responded to my
              satisfaction. First, to make those who helped happy, second, to tell to all
              they don't need to search for answers any more.

              A sunny day to all and everywhere, in Krkonose in particular

              Martin

              > Have I left anything out of this welcome message??
            • Kostas Zgafas
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 8, 2002
                Where are you exactly? How are you connected?

                Kostas

                > A sunny day to all and everywhere, in Krkonose in particular
                >
                > Martin
              • Dohnalová Kateřina
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 27, 2003
                  Hello all,
                  it was nice to meet you last week at the chinese restaurant.
                  It was the first time that I met you all as I am rather new to the list
                  (subscribed in Nov 02)
                  I am sorry I had to dash off before it was my turn to introduce myself, so
                  here we go:
                  What do I do ?
                  I am a full-time translator for a czech software company. We localize czech
                  software (accounting, leasing, banking...etc., check out
                  http://www.merlin.cz/) into english and sometimes even vice versa....we also
                  translate manuals and reports etc. for our products. There's 2 of us to do
                  it, and since the programming department has about 60 people there is always
                  work to do :)
                  Before that I have worked as a software tester for Microsoft in Ireland
                  (hello to Martin Janda whom I met there and who referred me to the
                  czechlist) and a light software programmer
                  (database developer, CRM systems developer)

                  I have mainly learned english at the high-school and from my extensive stays
                  abroad (lived in UK, USA and Ireland)
                  However, I have no experience when it comes to legal/technical (other than
                  software) or such translations,
                  thus my low input to your queries/questions.
                  Guess I can only benefit from being a part of your list, as many discussions
                  introduce new expressions/lingo to me.

                  Thanks,
                  Katerina