State member

  • Rubková
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 4, 2002
      Dear Listmates,

      I translate a company regulation concerning VAT regulation in Belgium and I
      am not sure about this part of sentence:

      ......that the goods are intended for transportation in an other State
      member.

      Do you think that State member means another EU member state?

      Sarka
      ---
      Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 4, 2002
        You guessed it, Sarka. You are 99% right. Wallonians are not very good in
        determining what should be an adjective and what noun.

        > I translate a company regulation concerning VAT regulation in Belgium and
        > am not sure about this part of sentence:
        >
        > ......that the goods are intended for transportation in an other State
        > member.
        >
        > Do you think that State member means another EU member state?
        >
        > Sarka
        > ---
        > Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
        > Zkontrolováno antivirovým systémem AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
        > Verze: 6.0.325 / Virová báze: 182 - datum vydání: 19.2.2002

      • Rubková
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 4, 2002
          Thanks, Martin.

          I just wanted to confirm my thinking.

          S.

          You guessed it, Sarka. You are 99% right. Wallonians are not very good in
          determining what should be an adjective and what noun.

          > I translate a company regulation concerning VAT regulation in Belgium and
          > am not sure about this part of sentence:
          >
          > ......that the goods are intended for transportation in an other State
          > member.
          >
          > Do you think that State member means another EU member state?
          >
          > Sarka
          > ---
          > Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
          > Zkontrolováno antivirovým systémem AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
          > Verze: 6.0.325 / Virová báze: 182 - datum vydání: 19.2.2002

          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

          ---
          Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

          ---
          Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
        • ottop1
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 5, 2002
            > Do you think that State member means another EU member state?

            Yes, I do.

            Otto
          • Rubková
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 5, 2002
              Thank, Otto.

              S.

              > Do you think that State member means another EU member state?

              Yes, I do.

              Otto

              Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

              ---
              Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

              ---
              Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
            • tomas_barendregt
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 5, 2002
                Hello,

                In theory, 'state member' could also mean:

                a) a member which is a government as opposed to corporate members or
                private individual members;

                b) a member who is based in a particular state (in the US) as opposed
                to an out-of-state member.

                I do think, however, that in your Belgian VAT context it is supposed
                to mean "a member state" but just wanted to say that in my opinion it
                does not necessarily have to be them French speakers making a mess of
                English...

                Tom