Re: [Czechlist] HW, SW handshake

  • Josef Hlavac
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
      Hello all,

      > >I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni and computer
      > people could also say <dorozumivani.
      >
      > Seconded to "navazani spojeni"; that's what Microsoft terminology - as
      > the industry standard - says. Their alternative is not to translate
      > and go for something like overeni/metoda (typu) handshake.

      It seems to me that more context would help.

      IM(NS)HO, "handshake" is a more general term - in some cases (e.g. your
      computer talking to your printer) it must take place during the entire
      communication, not just at the beginning. There, it makes sure that no
      data get lost. I think "navazani spojeni" is appropriate for e.g. TCP
      handshake (referring to the initial sequence that takes place when two
      computers want to communicate over the Internet) but I'd hesitate to use
      it in a description of a device that connects to the serial port on a PC.

      However, my college major is hardware, so watch out for a possible bias
      in my posts :-)))

      > people use these, they more often say <hardverove... and
      > <softverove..., respectively.
      >
      > Aargh... Perhaps I am too conservative, but I would still prefer
      > hardwarove/softwarove.

      Me too. :-)

      Joe

      --