Re: [Czechlist] TERM: Marno vse

  • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
      > I'd be interested to hear how you folks deal with 'marny' in legal
      > contexts:
      >
      > "Po marnem uplynuti teto lhuty"
      >
      > This phrase crops up in Section 177(4) of the Commercial Code.
      >
      > The Trade Links translation uses the rather unusual phrase 'expire in
      > vain' and then, perhaps apologetically, goes on to describe the
      > practical upshot in brackets:
      >
      > Should the time limit under subsection (3) expire in vain (i.e.
      > without the subscriber paying the amount in arrears)...
      >
      > Any neater ideas for this use of 'marny'? Without result? To no
      > effect? To no avail?
      >
      > M.

      "To no avail" sounds alright to me although I do remember translating this
      phrase once as something like "Should the deadline expire without
      fulfilment...", which seemed to fit the context at the time.

      Best regards

      Coilin
    • Simon Vollam
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
        Numerous moons ago, Melvyn wrote:

        > I'd be interested to hear how you folks deal with 'marny' in legal
        > contexts:
        >
        > "Po marnem uplynuti teto lhuty"

        Sometimes a reverse translation can shed some light on things. I notice that
        the following phrase crops up in the Zakon o bankach:

        'Po obdrzení informaci podle odstavce 1 nebo po marnem uplynuti 2 mesicu
        muze banka nebo opravnena financni instituce zacit podnikat na uzemi
        hostitelskeho statu.'

        which is essentially a translation of this clause from the EU's Directive
        2000/12/EC:

        'On receipt of a communication from the competent authorities of the host
        Member State, or in the event of the expiry of the period provided for in
        paragraph 4 without receipt of any communication from the latter, the branch
        may be established and commence its activities.'

        In other words, 'marne' here is a Czech ellipsis for 'without receipt of any
        communication from the latter'.

        Simon