RE: [Czechlist] RE: his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance

  • Rachel Thompson
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
      > Context:
      > Buyer may be represented at his own expence provided he gives us
      > reasonable
      > notice in advance, his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance.

      Hi Sarka,

      It's a bit of a strange sentence, but my guess is that it means the buyer
      may choose to be present himself or to be represented by someone else [at
      some decision-making meeting?], but if he is absent and unrepresented, it
      will be assumed that he has received [the decision?] and accepted it.

      Does that sound plausible?

      Rachel
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Rachel Thompson" <rachel.thompson@s...> wrote:
        > > Context:
        > > Buyer may be represented at his own expence provided he gives us
        > > reasonable
        > > notice in advance, his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance.
        >
        > Hi Sarka,
        >
        > It's a bit of a strange sentence, but my guess is that it means the
        buyer
        > may choose to be present himself or to be represented by someone
        else [at
        > some decision-making meeting?], but if he is absent and
        unrepresented, it
        > will be assumed that he has received [the decision?] and accepted
        it.

        > Does that sound plausible?
        >
        > Rachel

        I'd say so. I'd paraphrase it by saying 'his absence is tantamount to
        acceptance', 'his absence is deemed equivalent to acceptance' or
        simply 'his absence is deemed to be acceptance': jeho nepritomnost se
        povazuje za prijeti.

        Perhaps whatever it is that is received or accepted crops up just
        before this passage?

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
          Sarka wrote:
          > > > Context:
          > > > Buyer may be represented at his own expence provided he gives us
          > > > reasonable
          > > > notice in advance, his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance.

          As for the -ing form in this context, I'd hazard a guess that the best
          translation here is simply 'a':

          a jeho nepritomnost se povazuje za prijeti.

          M.

          I don't like the family Stein,
          There's Gert, there's Ep and there's Ein,
          Gert's writings are punk,
          Ep's statues are junk,
          And no one can understand Ein.
        • Rubková
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
            Thank you Rachel and Melv for your prompt responses.

            They were just what I needed

            Sarka

            > > > Buyer may be represented at his own expence provided he gives us
            > > > reasonable
            > > > notice in advance, his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance.

            As for the -ing form in this context, I'd hazard a guess that the best
            translation here is simply 'a':

            a jeho nepritomnost se povazuje za prijeti.

            M.

            I don't like the family Stein,
            There's Gert, there's Ep and there's Ein,
            Gert's writings are punk,
            Ep's statues are junk,
            And no one can understand Ein.

            Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

            ---
            Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

            ---
            Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
          • ottop1
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
              > >A co delas v pripade, ze vedle sebe je "best practice" a "proven
              experience". Oboji je osvedcene?

              > To jsem teda jeste nepotkal, ale rek bych, ze by to byl stejne jen
              pleonasmus, takze by jedna praxe uplne stacila. Ty uz jsi to nekde
              videl, nebo jen dovadis akademickou diskusi do extremu? :-)

              Ne, nejsem extremista (alespon obcas ne ;-))

              Videl jsem to zrovna nedavno v jednom marketingovem blabolu americke
              konzultacni firmy (abych nebyl obvinen - nemam nic proti konzultacnim
              firmam, ani americkym, jenom mi vadi nabubrely styl jejich
              marketingovych materialu).

              Ahoj

              Otto
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                Brrrr. V tom pripade je IMHO primo svatou povinnosti prekladatele, aby to orezal! :-)
                > >A co delas v pripade, ze vedle sebe je "best practice" a "proven
                experience". Oboji je osvedcene?

                > To jsem teda jeste nepotkal, ale rek bych, ze by to byl stejne jen
                pleonasmus, takze by jedna praxe uplne stacila. Ty uz jsi to nekde
                videl, nebo jen dovadis akademickou diskusi do extremu? :-)

                Ne, nejsem extremista (alespon obcas ne ;-))

                Videl jsem to zrovna nedavno v jednom marketingovem blabolu americke
                konzultacni firmy (abych nebyl obvinen - nemam nic proti konzultacnim
                firmam, ani americkym, jenom mi vadi nabubrely styl jejich
                marketingovych materialu).

                Ahoj

                Otto

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 4, 2002
                  Dear Listmates,

                  I translate a company regulation concerning VAT regulation in Belgium and I
                  am not sure about this part of sentence:

                  ......that the goods are intended for transportation in an other State
                  member.

                  Do you think that State member means another EU member state?

                  Sarka
                  ---
                  Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 4, 2002
                    You guessed it, Sarka. You are 99% right. Wallonians are not very good in
                    determining what should be an adjective and what noun.

                    > I translate a company regulation concerning VAT regulation in Belgium and
                    > am not sure about this part of sentence:
                    >
                    > ......that the goods are intended for transportation in an other State
                    > member.
                    >
                    > Do you think that State member means another EU member state?
                    >
                    > Sarka
                    > ---
                    > Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                    > Zkontrolováno antivirovým systémem AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
                    > Verze: 6.0.325 / Virová báze: 182 - datum vydání: 19.2.2002

                  • Rubková
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 4, 2002
                      Thanks, Martin.

                      I just wanted to confirm my thinking.

                      S.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 5, 2002
                        > Do you think that State member means another EU member state?

                        Yes, I do.

                        Otto
                      • Rubková
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 5, 2002
                          Thank, Otto.

                          S.

                          > Do you think that State member means another EU member state?

                          Yes, I do.

                          Otto

                          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                          ---
                          Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

                          ---
                          Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                        • tomas_barendregt
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 5, 2002
                            Hello,

                            In theory, 'state member' could also mean:

                            a) a member which is a government as opposed to corporate members or
                            private individual members;

                            b) a member who is based in a particular state (in the US) as opposed
                            to an out-of-state member.

                            I do think, however, that in your Belgian VAT context it is supposed
                            to mean "a member state" but just wanted to say that in my opinion it
                            does not necessarily have to be them French speakers making a mess of
                            English...

                            Tom