RE: [Czechlist] RE: his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance

  • Rachel Thompson
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
      > Context:
      > Buyer may be represented at his own expence provided he gives us
      > reasonable
      > notice in advance, his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance.

      Hi Sarka,

      It's a bit of a strange sentence, but my guess is that it means the buyer
      may choose to be present himself or to be represented by someone else [at
      some decision-making meeting?], but if he is absent and unrepresented, it
      will be assumed that he has received [the decision?] and accepted it.

      Does that sound plausible?

      Rachel
    • Rubková
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
        Hi Listmates,

        could you help me the following part of the sentence:

        his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance

        Context:
        Buyer may be represented at his own expence provided he gives us reasonable
        notice in advance, his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance.

        Thanks,

        Šárka
        ---
        Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
          --- In Czechlist@y..., "Rachel Thompson" <rachel.thompson@s...> wrote:
          > > Context:
          > > Buyer may be represented at his own expence provided he gives us
          > > reasonable
          > > notice in advance, his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance.
          >
          > Hi Sarka,
          >
          > It's a bit of a strange sentence, but my guess is that it means the
          buyer
          > may choose to be present himself or to be represented by someone
          else [at
          > some decision-making meeting?], but if he is absent and
          unrepresented, it
          > will be assumed that he has received [the decision?] and accepted
          it.

          > Does that sound plausible?
          >
          > Rachel

          I'd say so. I'd paraphrase it by saying 'his absence is tantamount to
          acceptance', 'his absence is deemed equivalent to acceptance' or
          simply 'his absence is deemed to be acceptance': jeho nepritomnost se
          povazuje za prijeti.

          Perhaps whatever it is that is received or accepted crops up just
          before this passage?

          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
            Sarka wrote:
            > > > Context:
            > > > Buyer may be represented at his own expence provided he gives us
            > > > reasonable
            > > > notice in advance, his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance.

            As for the -ing form in this context, I'd hazard a guess that the best
            translation here is simply 'a':

            a jeho nepritomnost se povazuje za prijeti.

            M.

            I don't like the family Stein,
            There's Gert, there's Ep and there's Ein,
            Gert's writings are punk,
            Ep's statues are junk,
            And no one can understand Ein.
          • Rubková
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
              Thank you Rachel and Melv for your prompt responses.

              They were just what I needed

              Sarka

              > > > Buyer may be represented at his own expence provided he gives us
              > > > reasonable
              > > > notice in advance, his absence amounting to Receipt/Acceptance.

              As for the -ing form in this context, I'd hazard a guess that the best
              translation here is simply 'a':

              a jeho nepritomnost se povazuje za prijeti.

              M.

              I don't like the family Stein,
              There's Gert, there's Ep and there's Ein,
              Gert's writings are punk,
              Ep's statues are junk,
              And no one can understand Ein.

              Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

              ---
              Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

              ---
              Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
            • ottop1
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                > >A co delas v pripade, ze vedle sebe je "best practice" a "proven
                experience". Oboji je osvedcene?

                > To jsem teda jeste nepotkal, ale rek bych, ze by to byl stejne jen
                pleonasmus, takze by jedna praxe uplne stacila. Ty uz jsi to nekde
                videl, nebo jen dovadis akademickou diskusi do extremu? :-)

                Ne, nejsem extremista (alespon obcas ne ;-))

                Videl jsem to zrovna nedavno v jednom marketingovem blabolu americke
                konzultacni firmy (abych nebyl obvinen - nemam nic proti konzultacnim
                firmam, ani americkym, jenom mi vadi nabubrely styl jejich
                marketingovych materialu).

                Ahoj

                Otto
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 3, 2002
                  Brrrr. V tom pripade je IMHO primo svatou povinnosti prekladatele, aby to orezal! :-)
                  > >A co delas v pripade, ze vedle sebe je "best practice" a "proven
                  experience". Oboji je osvedcene?

                  > To jsem teda jeste nepotkal, ale rek bych, ze by to byl stejne jen
                  pleonasmus, takze by jedna praxe uplne stacila. Ty uz jsi to nekde
                  videl, nebo jen dovadis akademickou diskusi do extremu? :-)

                  Ne, nejsem extremista (alespon obcas ne ;-))

                  Videl jsem to zrovna nedavno v jednom marketingovem blabolu americke
                  konzultacni firmy (abych nebyl obvinen - nemam nic proti konzultacnim
                  firmam, ani americkym, jenom mi vadi nabubrely styl jejich
                  marketingovych materialu).

                  Ahoj

                  Otto

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 4, 2002
                    Dear Listmates,

                    I translate a company regulation concerning VAT regulation in Belgium and I
                    am not sure about this part of sentence:

                    ......that the goods are intended for transportation in an other State
                    member.

                    Do you think that State member means another EU member state?

                    Sarka
                    ---
                    Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 4, 2002
                      You guessed it, Sarka. You are 99% right. Wallonians are not very good in
                      determining what should be an adjective and what noun.

                      > I translate a company regulation concerning VAT regulation in Belgium and
                      > am not sure about this part of sentence:
                      >
                      > ......that the goods are intended for transportation in an other State
                      > member.
                      >
                      > Do you think that State member means another EU member state?
                      >
                      > Sarka
                      > ---
                      > Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                      > Zkontrolováno antivirovým systémem AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
                      > Verze: 6.0.325 / Virová báze: 182 - datum vydání: 19.2.2002

                    • Rubková
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 4, 2002
                        Thanks, Martin.

                        I just wanted to confirm my thinking.

                        S.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 5, 2002
                          > Do you think that State member means another EU member state?

                          Yes, I do.

                          Otto
                        • Rubková
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 5, 2002
                            Thank, Otto.

                            S.

                            > Do you think that State member means another EU member state?

                            Yes, I do.

                            Otto

                            Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

                            ---
                            Příchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.

                            ---
                            Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
                          • tomas_barendregt
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 5, 2002
                              Hello,

                              In theory, 'state member' could also mean:

                              a) a member which is a government as opposed to corporate members or
                              private individual members;

                              b) a member who is based in a particular state (in the US) as opposed
                              to an out-of-state member.

                              I do think, however, that in your Belgian VAT context it is supposed
                              to mean "a member state" but just wanted to say that in my opinion it
                              does not necessarily have to be them French speakers making a mess of
                              English...

                              Tom