Re: TERM: Marno vse

  • jiripelka
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2002
      From US financial documents I recall vividly your last suggestion "To
      no avail" - perhaps US established guys confirm this.

      Jiri
    • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
        > I'd be interested to hear how you folks deal with 'marny' in legal
        > contexts:
        >
        > "Po marnem uplynuti teto lhuty"
        >
        > This phrase crops up in Section 177(4) of the Commercial Code.
        >
        > The Trade Links translation uses the rather unusual phrase 'expire in
        > vain' and then, perhaps apologetically, goes on to describe the
        > practical upshot in brackets:
        >
        > Should the time limit under subsection (3) expire in vain (i.e.
        > without the subscriber paying the amount in arrears)...
        >
        > Any neater ideas for this use of 'marny'? Without result? To no
        > effect? To no avail?
        >
        > M.

        "To no avail" sounds alright to me although I do remember translating this
        phrase once as something like "Should the deadline expire without
        fulfilment...", which seemed to fit the context at the time.

        Best regards

        Coilin
      • Simon Vollam
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
          Numerous moons ago, Melvyn wrote:

          > I'd be interested to hear how you folks deal with 'marny' in legal
          > contexts:
          >
          > "Po marnem uplynuti teto lhuty"

          Sometimes a reverse translation can shed some light on things. I notice that
          the following phrase crops up in the Zakon o bankach:

          'Po obdrzení informaci podle odstavce 1 nebo po marnem uplynuti 2 mesicu
          muze banka nebo opravnena financni instituce zacit podnikat na uzemi
          hostitelskeho statu.'

          which is essentially a translation of this clause from the EU's Directive
          2000/12/EC:

          'On receipt of a communication from the competent authorities of the host
          Member State, or in the event of the expiry of the period provided for in
          paragraph 4 without receipt of any communication from the latter, the branch
          may be established and commence its activities.'

          In other words, 'marne' here is a Czech ellipsis for 'without receipt of any
          communication from the latter'.

          Simon