No. versus no.

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2002
      Coming back to the subject of No. versus no., I'd say the best
      solution in some situations is simply to leave the bugger out, e.g. I
      usually prefer Appendix 2 to Appendix No. 2 and sometimes in workaday
      contexts even Boiler 3 to Boiler No. 3.

      My own usage is inconsistent. I use No. more often than not but I feel
      it can sometimes look a little pompous to have a Ref. No. in the
      middle of a sentence so I just use a discreet 'ref. no.' or even
      'ref.' on its own. Does this sound reasonable?