TERM: Marno vse

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2002
      I'd be interested to hear how you folks deal with 'marny' in legal
      contexts:

      "Po marnem uplynuti teto lhuty"

      This phrase crops up in Section 177(4) of the Commercial Code.

      The Trade Links translation uses the rather unusual phrase 'expire in
      vain' and then, perhaps apologetically, goes on to describe the
      practical upshot in brackets:

      Should the time limit under subsection (3) expire in vain (i.e.
      without the subscriber paying the amount in arrears)...

      Any neater ideas for this use of 'marny'? Without result? To no
      effect? To no avail?

      M.
    • jiripelka
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2002
        From US financial documents I recall vividly your last suggestion "To
        no avail" - perhaps US established guys confirm this.

        Jiri
      • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2002
          > I'd be interested to hear how you folks deal with 'marny' in legal
          > contexts:
          >
          > "Po marnem uplynuti teto lhuty"
          >
          > This phrase crops up in Section 177(4) of the Commercial Code.
          >
          > The Trade Links translation uses the rather unusual phrase 'expire in
          > vain' and then, perhaps apologetically, goes on to describe the
          > practical upshot in brackets:
          >
          > Should the time limit under subsection (3) expire in vain (i.e.
          > without the subscriber paying the amount in arrears)...
          >
          > Any neater ideas for this use of 'marny'? Without result? To no
          > effect? To no avail?
          >
          > M.

          "To no avail" sounds alright to me although I do remember translating this
          phrase once as something like "Should the deadline expire without
          fulfilment...", which seemed to fit the context at the time.

          Best regards

          Coilin
        • Simon Vollam
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
            Numerous moons ago, Melvyn wrote:

            > I'd be interested to hear how you folks deal with 'marny' in legal
            > contexts:
            >
            > "Po marnem uplynuti teto lhuty"

            Sometimes a reverse translation can shed some light on things. I notice that
            the following phrase crops up in the Zakon o bankach:

            'Po obdrzení informaci podle odstavce 1 nebo po marnem uplynuti 2 mesicu
            muze banka nebo opravnena financni instituce zacit podnikat na uzemi
            hostitelskeho statu.'

            which is essentially a translation of this clause from the EU's Directive
            2000/12/EC:

            'On receipt of a communication from the competent authorities of the host
            Member State, or in the event of the expiry of the period provided for in
            paragraph 4 without receipt of any communication from the latter, the branch
            may be established and commence its activities.'

            In other words, 'marne' here is a Czech ellipsis for 'without receipt of any
            communication from the latter'.

            Simon