Re: [Czechlist] HW, SW handshake

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      >I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni and computer people could also say <dorozumivani.

      Seconded to "navazani spojeni"; that's what Microsoft terminology - as the industry standard - says. Their alternative is not to translate and go for something like overeni/metoda (typu) handshake.

      >If it's "hardware..." I suppose the correct Czech is <... technickym vybavenim while "software..." is <programovym vybavenim, but very few people use these, they more often say <hardverove... and <softverove..., respectively.

      Aargh... Perhaps I am too conservative, but I would still prefer hardwarove/softwarove.

      dobrou noc

    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
        Hello all,

        > >I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni and computer
        > people could also say <dorozumivani.
        >
        > Seconded to "navazani spojeni"; that's what Microsoft terminology - as
        > the industry standard - says. Their alternative is not to translate
        > and go for something like overeni/metoda (typu) handshake.

        It seems to me that more context would help.

        IM(NS)HO, "handshake" is a more general term - in some cases (e.g. your
        computer talking to your printer) it must take place during the entire
        communication, not just at the beginning. There, it makes sure that no
        data get lost. I think "navazani spojeni" is appropriate for e.g. TCP
        handshake (referring to the initial sequence that takes place when two
        computers want to communicate over the Internet) but I'd hesitate to use
        it in a description of a device that connects to the serial port on a PC.

        However, my college major is hardware, so watch out for a possible bias
        in my posts :-)))

        > people use these, they more often say <hardverove... and
        > <softverove..., respectively.
        >
        > Aargh... Perhaps I am too conservative, but I would still prefer
        > hardwarove/softwarove.

        Me too. :-)

        Joe

        --