Re: [Czechlist] HW, SW handshake

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      Hi Kostas,

      > They are "hardware handshake" and "software handshake"

      Webster's on handshake: "Also, handshaking. Computers. an
      exchange of predetermined signals between a computer and a
      peripheral device or another computer, made when a
      connection is initially established or at intervals during
      data transmission, in order to assure proper
      synchronization."

      I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni> and
      computer people could also say <dorozumivani>.

      If it's "hardware..." I suppose the correct Czech is <...
      technickym vybavenim> while "software..." is <programovym
      vybavenim>, but very few people use these, they more often
      say <hardverove...> and <softverove...>, respectively.

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
        >I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni and computer people could also say <dorozumivani.

        Seconded to "navazani spojeni"; that's what Microsoft terminology - as the industry standard - says. Their alternative is not to translate and go for something like overeni/metoda (typu) handshake.

        >If it's "hardware..." I suppose the correct Czech is <... technickym vybavenim while "software..." is <programovym vybavenim, but very few people use these, they more often say <hardverove... and <softverove..., respectively.

        Aargh... Perhaps I am too conservative, but I would still prefer hardwarove/softwarove.

        dobrou noc

      • Josef Hlavac
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
          Hello all,

          > >I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni and computer
          > people could also say <dorozumivani.
          >
          > Seconded to "navazani spojeni"; that's what Microsoft terminology - as
          > the industry standard - says. Their alternative is not to translate
          > and go for something like overeni/metoda (typu) handshake.

          It seems to me that more context would help.

          IM(NS)HO, "handshake" is a more general term - in some cases (e.g. your
          computer talking to your printer) it must take place during the entire
          communication, not just at the beginning. There, it makes sure that no
          data get lost. I think "navazani spojeni" is appropriate for e.g. TCP
          handshake (referring to the initial sequence that takes place when two
          computers want to communicate over the Internet) but I'd hesitate to use
          it in a description of a device that connects to the serial port on a PC.

          However, my college major is hardware, so watch out for a possible bias
          in my posts :-)))

          > people use these, they more often say <hardverove... and
          > <softverove..., respectively.
          >
          > Aargh... Perhaps I am too conservative, but I would still prefer
          > hardwarove/softwarove.

          Me too. :-)

          Joe

          --