Re: [Czechlist] HW, SW handshake

  • Petr Jarolím
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      Hi, Kostas!

      It is exchange of data for the purpose of authenticating the identity of
      one/both parties.
      potvrzeni o navazani spojeni - vymena potvrzeni or potvrzeni o navazani
      spojeni.

      Regards
      Hana

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
        Hi Kostas,

        > They are "hardware handshake" and "software handshake"

        Webster's on handshake: "Also, handshaking. Computers. an
        exchange of predetermined signals between a computer and a
        peripheral device or another computer, made when a
        connection is initially established or at intervals during
        data transmission, in order to assure proper
        synchronization."

        I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni> and
        computer people could also say <dorozumivani>.

        If it's "hardware..." I suppose the correct Czech is <...
        technickym vybavenim> while "software..." is <programovym
        vybavenim>, but very few people use these, they more often
        say <hardverove...> and <softverove...>, respectively.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
          >I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni and computer people could also say <dorozumivani.

          Seconded to "navazani spojeni"; that's what Microsoft terminology - as the industry standard - says. Their alternative is not to translate and go for something like overeni/metoda (typu) handshake.

          >If it's "hardware..." I suppose the correct Czech is <... technickym vybavenim while "software..." is <programovym vybavenim, but very few people use these, they more often say <hardverove... and <softverove..., respectively.

          Aargh... Perhaps I am too conservative, but I would still prefer hardwarove/softwarove.

          dobrou noc

        • Josef Hlavac
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
            Hello all,

            > >I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni and computer
            > people could also say <dorozumivani.
            >
            > Seconded to "navazani spojeni"; that's what Microsoft terminology - as
            > the industry standard - says. Their alternative is not to translate
            > and go for something like overeni/metoda (typu) handshake.

            It seems to me that more context would help.

            IM(NS)HO, "handshake" is a more general term - in some cases (e.g. your
            computer talking to your printer) it must take place during the entire
            communication, not just at the beginning. There, it makes sure that no
            data get lost. I think "navazani spojeni" is appropriate for e.g. TCP
            handshake (referring to the initial sequence that takes place when two
            computers want to communicate over the Internet) but I'd hesitate to use
            it in a description of a device that connects to the serial port on a PC.

            However, my college major is hardware, so watch out for a possible bias
            in my posts :-)))

            > people use these, they more often say <hardverove... and
            > <softverove..., respectively.
            >
            > Aargh... Perhaps I am too conservative, but I would still prefer
            > hardwarove/softwarove.

            Me too. :-)

            Joe

            --