[Czechlist] HW, SW handshake

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      Does anyone know the terms above?
      They are "hardware handshake" and "software handshake" as parameters in a
      list of technical specifications. The link saying something of these terms
      is here:
      http://www.computeruser.com/resources/dictionary/definition.html?lookup=2445
      I have no idea how to render them in Czech.

      Kostas

      ---
      Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
    • Josef Hlavac
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
        Handshake is a method used to synchronize communication between two (or
        more) devices, making sure no one misses any signalling. Basically,
        whenever one side signals something, it then waits for the other side to
        acknowledge the action, and vice versa. Therefore, communication
        progresses at the speed of the slowest device.

        My suggestion is "hardwarove'/softwarove' potvrzova'ni'" or
        perhaps "potvrzovaci' protokol".

        (BTW, computer geeks would often use English terms even when speaking
        Czech :-)))

        HTH, Joe

        --
        Mailto: Josef "Joe" Hlavac <joe@...>
        Phone: +420-776-736715

        On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Kostas Zgafas wrote:

        > Does anyone know the terms above?
        > They are "hardware handshake" and "software handshake" as parameters in a
        > list of technical specifications. The link saying something of these terms
        > is here:
        > http://www.computeruser.com/resources/dictionary/definition.html?lookup=2445
        > I have no idea how to render them in Czech.
        >
        > Kostas
        >

        > ---
        > Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.
        > Zkontrolováno antivirovým systémem AVG (http://www.grisoft.cz).
        > Verze: 6.0.343 / Virová báze: 190 - datum vydání: 22.3.2002

      • Petr Jarolím
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
          Hi, Kostas!

          It is exchange of data for the purpose of authenticating the identity of
          one/both parties.
          potvrzeni o navazani spojeni - vymena potvrzeni or potvrzeni o navazani
          spojeni.

          Regards
          Hana

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
            Hi Kostas,

            > They are "hardware handshake" and "software handshake"

            Webster's on handshake: "Also, handshaking. Computers. an
            exchange of predetermined signals between a computer and a
            peripheral device or another computer, made when a
            connection is initially established or at intervals during
            data transmission, in order to assure proper
            synchronization."

            I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni> and
            computer people could also say <dorozumivani>.

            If it's "hardware..." I suppose the correct Czech is <...
            technickym vybavenim> while "software..." is <programovym
            vybavenim>, but very few people use these, they more often
            say <hardverove...> and <softverove...>, respectively.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
              >I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni and computer people could also say <dorozumivani.

              Seconded to "navazani spojeni"; that's what Microsoft terminology - as the industry standard - says. Their alternative is not to translate and go for something like overeni/metoda (typu) handshake.

              >If it's "hardware..." I suppose the correct Czech is <... technickym vybavenim while "software..." is <programovym vybavenim, but very few people use these, they more often say <hardverove... and <softverove..., respectively.

              Aargh... Perhaps I am too conservative, but I would still prefer hardwarove/softwarove.

              dobrou noc

            • Josef Hlavac
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
                Hello all,

                > >I would simplify Hana's suggestion to <navazani spojeni and computer
                > people could also say <dorozumivani.
                >
                > Seconded to "navazani spojeni"; that's what Microsoft terminology - as
                > the industry standard - says. Their alternative is not to translate
                > and go for something like overeni/metoda (typu) handshake.

                It seems to me that more context would help.

                IM(NS)HO, "handshake" is a more general term - in some cases (e.g. your
                computer talking to your printer) it must take place during the entire
                communication, not just at the beginning. There, it makes sure that no
                data get lost. I think "navazani spojeni" is appropriate for e.g. TCP
                handshake (referring to the initial sequence that takes place when two
                computers want to communicate over the Internet) but I'd hesitate to use
                it in a description of a device that connects to the serial port on a PC.

                However, my college major is hardware, so watch out for a possible bias
                in my posts :-)))

                > people use these, they more often say <hardverove... and
                > <softverove..., respectively.
                >
                > Aargh... Perhaps I am too conservative, but I would still prefer
                > hardwarove/softwarove.

                Me too. :-)

                Joe

                --