RE: [Czechlist] Re: HELP: Hlasit se k narodnosti

  • Rubková
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2002
      Jamie wrote
      >In a recent translation I was working on, we were dealing with a lot of
      German-surnamed people whose first names in the text were Czech. However,
      at
      the time, everyone's citizenship would have been Austrian. Based on other
      cultural and historical cues in the text, I assumed their Czech first names
      to have been bohemized by the author, but I asked the publisher. He said
      that these people "se hlasili ceske narodnosti". I am certain the author
      and
      publisher had no reliable information as to whether these people had
      formally
      registered their nationality as Czech, and his statement sounded to me as if
      "hlasit se k ceske narodnosti" really simply meant "considered themselves
      Czech" or "claimed to be Czech". It just didn't found like they had
      "registered" as anything.

      Am I far off?

      You are right, Jamie.

      Sarka