Re: ADMIN: Onelist resources and other business

  • Kostas Zgafas
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
      Getting local agencies to pass on details to their translators
      > would be ideal, but at the very mention of such a thing, I find they act
      > like vampires in front of a cross.

      Excuse me, Melvyn, but it sounds to me like a good joke to ask local
      agencies to help in promoting Internet mediated discussion among
      translators.

      Any other bright ideas?

      1) An ad to JTP journal.

      2) http://www.inet.cz/jtp/index.htm
      There is the JTP database at this URL administrated by Mr. Pacholik who
      cautiously protects the JTP "members only" e-discussion group from
      non-members. But you can use it to access Eng-Cz translators. (Many of them
      have their own e-mail addresses listed there).

      3) Maybe to ask Mr. Radovan Pletka to help to promote the list. You may ask
      him to consider how it might help him to promote his own services.
      www.czechtranslation.com
      RPletka@...

      4) I think the ATA has its own database on the web, you might search there
      to contact people with our combination.

      5) Dejavu database (the same thing).

      6) Aquarius database.

      But I guess, you may need to ask other translators (not agencies, haha) to
      give you some help to accomplish all of this.

      Kostas
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
        > From: "Melvyn Clarke" <zehrovak@...>

        > I should have a little time to recruit more members to the list this
        > weekend. Poaching JTP people has been suggested. Adverts in Prague Post is
        > another idea. Getting local agencies to pass on details to their
        translators
        > would be ideal, but at the very mention of such a thing, I find they act
        > like vampires in front of a cross. Any other bright ideas?

        The most efficient method for disseminating anything is always personal
        reference. If you send a message to a dozen of your friends translators, and
        if half of them do the same, you will cover half of Czechia�s population in
        the fourth or fifth generation (OK, perhaps not that much, but you see my
        point). If you can sell Herbalife this way, why not the CzechList?

        As to JTP, they�ve got their own list in eGroups recently. Strictly for
        their members - perhaps they want to justify somehow their not very modest
        membership fee.

        Greetings
        Martin Janda

        Oh, I promised to introduce myself last time. OKay, a free-lance
        translator/interpreter, English-Czech, living in Prague, doing mostly
        legalese, but some technical stuff as well (cars, mobiles, banking IT -
        what the life and agencies are bringing). I started with SF books some
        years ago - much more fun, that�s for sure, but rather underpaid and
        you are constantly at risk of never getting paid at all when your
        publisher disappears.
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
          >you will cover half of Czechia�s population

          Ugh, can we please ban the word "Czechia"?
          :-)
          Michael