Re: HELP: Translating the names of livestock breeds

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5 4:02 PM
      Hullo all,

      Yahoogroups seems to be have risen from the crypt again after being
      down for the best part of a day.

      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Jaroslav Hejzlar" <hejzlar@b...> wrote:
      > Dear listmates,
      > how do you think I should handle the names of various pigeon breeds,
      such as c'esky' stava'k, pra'chen'sky' ka'ni'k, praz'sky' rejdic' and
      a number of others (as well as similar types of names of breeds of
      other livestock categories) that I cannot find anywhere on the web?

      I see on http://members.aol.com/fancyclub/rbpclistcat.html that the
      various breeds of pigeons have special international codes, for
      example:

      Bohemian pouter BHP
      Stavak - Steller Pouter STP
      Czech Trumpeter CZT
      Czech Muffed Tumbler CMT
      Prague MF Tumbler PRMF

      just to select a few of the more picturesque names. I would ask the
      Czech pigeon fanciers on the web to decipher these codes for you. Here
      are their webpages:

      Holubarske stranky v CR

      Stanislav Škovran http://www.holubi.olomouc.cz/

      Ecoteam Matuška http://www.ecoteam.euweb.cz/

      Petr Jabùrek http://www.cmail.cz/ilona.jaburkova/

      Vašek Lebeda http://mujweb.cz/Zabava/holubi/

      Jaroslav Strnad http://web.quick.cz/derbyteam/

      As for the other animals try somebody at:

      Cesky svaz chovatelu http://www.cschdz.cz/

      Or you could always invent a few names like the Mustek Messerschmidt
      or something.

      Regards,

      M.
    • karel6005
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6 2:59 PM
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@d...> wrote:
        > Have a look at:

        http://members.aol.com/fancyclub/rbpclistcat.html ...

        Just my breathless compliments to Melvyn for another excellent
        goooogling lesson. Indeed, needs more "Sitzfleisch", this translation
        craft.

        > ... and you'll see that pigeon breeds are designated by an
        international code.

        For example:
        ... Czech Muffed Tumbler
        ... Czech MF Tumbler ...

        My clear favourites - "rejdici". What a pertinent breed for the
        current volatile times! Anyway, I forced myself to go a bit beyond my
        original superficial response to this topic, and when searching the
        opposite way round in Hais-Hodek En->Cz I was even able to find
        two "rejdici": "roller" and "tumbler". As a token of small
        appreciation for admitting my initial careless entry I would welcome
        a short explanation (after having completed your exercise, of
        course), who is actually who in these "rejdici" ;-)

        BR

        Karel
      • Jaroslav Hejzlar
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6 4:38 PM
          Hello, Karel and Melvyn!
          Thank you both for prompt reply and useful tips. I will let you know the results when I have finished.
          Jarda
          Just my breathless compliments to Melvyn for another excellent
          goooogling lesson. Indeed, needs more "Sitzfleisch", this translation
          craft.

          > ... and you'll see that pigeon breeds are designated by an
          international code.

          For example:
          ... Czech Muffed Tumbler
          ... Czech MF Tumbler ...

          My clear favourites - "rejdici". What a pertinent breed for the
          current volatile times! Anyway, I forced myself to go a bit beyond my
          original superficial response to this topic, and when searching the
          opposite way round in Hais-Hodek En->Cz I was even able to find
          two "rejdici": "roller" and "tumbler". As a token of small
          appreciation for admitting my initial careless entry I would welcome
          a short explanation (after having completed your exercise, of
          course), who is actually who in these "rejdici" ;-)

          BR

          Karel

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com