Re: [Czechlist] Re: TERM: strasidlo

    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 3, 2002
      HI Mel,

      >Drak - here be dragons - I read somewhere that dragons are seen in a very positive light in many cultures and trying to bump them off is actually a peculiarity of the Christian tradition. Are Czech dragons ever seen as positive symbols like, say, the dragon on the Welsh flag?

      Nope. They are invariably stupid and evil, except for some late-20th century variations.

      >Hejkal - (Wild) Man of the Woods according to old Poldauf. I understand the hejkal can also lurk in water and lure people to their doom with his strange hejkani, isn't that right? How many pints do you need to
      hear one of them?

      No water in Czechia (sorry), AFAIK. Most of the time they sit on a branch or peek from behind of a tree. No pints needed - just come to us and listen to my kids.

      >Vodni panna - ah, one of them popped up on David Vavra's trip down the Orlice on TV the other night. Could she be a water nymph? That's how Rusalka is normally described, I believe. AKA "water maiden", "water sprite" - do not approach - seek the assistance of a law enforcement officer.
      Not a really typical creater of my home country. If speaking about those from abroad, I believe they are called mermaid?

      >BTW Don't you have any fairies dancing around the toadstools in these parts?

      Dancing, yes, on a clear of woods, but they are too tall to use toadstools as a rotation. unfortunately.

      >Morsky pes - What are they doing here?
      No idea. But Croatians use "morskie pasy" or sea dogs for sharks. Maybe the gallery includes a shark or two.

      >Vystava strasidel - Exhibition of Imaginary Beings has a certain pleasing paradox behind it, when you think about it, don't you think, Simon? Maybe in Britain they'd be more likely to use the word 'gallery'. They have waxworks galleries, don't they? Grim gallery of goblins, ghouls and gnomes? :) Yes, I know I'm too late. My most inspired translations are always a week too late.

      Well, I understand your name is much more accurate, but Chanmber of Horrors - it has the eight marketing zing to it, hasn´t it?

      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 3, 2002
        --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
        Are Czech dragons
        ever seen as positive symbols like, say, the dragon on the Welsh flag?

        > Nope. They are invariably stupid and evil,

        Poor dragons. That has really bummed me out for the whole day.

        > >Hejkal -
        No water in Czechia (sorry), AFAIK. Most of the time they sit on a
        branch or peek from behind of a tree. No pints needed - just come to
        us and listen to my kids.

        :) So is he just like the 'lesni muz', only noisier?

        > >Vodni panna -
        > Not a really typical creater of my home country.

        Rusalka is about as Czech as you can get, surely!

        > If speaking about
        those from abroad, I believe they are called mermaid?

        You only find mermaids in the sea AFAIAA (morska panna) and they have
        fishy tails.

        > >BTW Don't you have any fairies dancing around the toadstools in
        these parts?

        > Dancing, yes, on a clear of woods, but they are too tall to use
        toadstools as a rotation. unfortunately.

        Don't you have little ones with gossamer wings?

        > Well, I understand your name is much more accurate, but Chanmber of
        Horrors - it has the eight marketing zing to it, hasn´t it?

        Hmmmm....

        M.
      • Michael Grant
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 3, 2002
          On 3/3/02 9:29 AM, "melvyn.geo" <zehrovak@...> wrote:

          > --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
          > Are Czech dragons
          > ever seen as positive symbols like, say, the dragon on the Welsh flag?
          >>
          >> Nope. They are invariably stupid and evil,
          >
          > Poor dragons. That has really bummed me out for the whole day.

          How about Moravian dragons? Like the one in Brno....
          ;-)
          Michael

          ****PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW PHONE NUMBERS****
          Tel. (+1-512) 989-7480, Fax (+1-512) 989-2428