nastupovat

  • erisdiscordia.rm
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi Czechers,

      I'm looking for some nice equivalent for "nastupovat" in the sense
      used below:

      Po valce nastupuje experimentator novych animacních postupu Karel
      Zeman...

      The only equivalents that have come to my mind so far are "enter the
      scene" and "enter the fray", but both sound silly in the context (and
      I can't use the former much in this extremely long translation,
      because it's all about puppets), so nixon that.

      Two fingers up,
      Erich P.
    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 2002
        In a message dated 3/2/02 5:50:00 PM, erik@... writes:

        >Po valce nastupuje experimentator novych animacních postupu Karel
        >Zeman...

        >The only equivalents that have come to my mind so far are "enter the
        >scene" and "enter the fray", but both sound silly in the context (and
        >I can't use the former much in this extremely long translation,
        >because it's all about puppets), so nixon that.

        Well, you could say "boarded the subway". ;-)

        I usually translate "nastupovat" in cases like that as something simple and
        boring, like "arise" or "appeared" or "came on the scene".

        "After the war, Karel Zeman came on the scene and experimented with new
        methods of animation."

        Sounds perfectly natural to me, and not silly.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
          Emerge? If it works for markets... :-)
          I'm looking for some nice equivalent for "nastupovat" in the sense
          used below:

          Po valce nastupuje experimentator novych animacních postupu Karel
          Zeman...

          The only equivalents that have come to my mind so far are "enter the
          scene" and "enter the fray", but both sound silly in the context (and
          I can't use the former much in this extremely long translation,
          because it's all about puppets), so nixon that.

          Two fingers up,
          Erich P.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Post message: Czechlist@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
            --- In Czechlist@y..., "Martin Janda" <martinjanda@v...> wrote:
            > Emerge? If it works for markets... :-)
            > Martin

            Hmmm, might _possibly_ work in a phrase like:
            "1946 saw the emergence of..." but normally I'd go for
            "arrived/appeared on the scene" or in some circumstances: "came/rose
            to prominence". Don't know if that works here though.

            > Po valce nastupuje experimentator novych animacních postupu Karel
            > Zeman...

            At the risk of sounding like a total busybody, I'd just mention that
            I often translate lists of events in the 'present historic' with the
            simple past tense.

            M.
          • erisdiscordia.rm
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
              > > Po valce nastupuje experimentator novych animacních postupu
              > > Karel Zeman...
              > >
              > At the risk of sounding like a total busybody, I'd just mention
              > that I often translate lists of events in the 'present historic'
              > with the simple past tense.

              Actually, there are times when the 'present historic' *feels* right
              to me as I roll along translating, though I can't cite a single damn
              grammar rule justifying it. Often I squash a bunch of these (or, more
              rarely, change some pasts into present historics) during self-
              proofreading, to maintain consistency of tense.

              Of course, this and many other aspects of my English leaves me
              nervously wondering how much it's been corrupted by Czech.

              Erik "Schprockets!" Piper
            • erisdiscordia.rm
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
                --- In Czechlist@y..., JPKIRCHNER@a... wrote:

                > I usually translate "nastupovat" in cases like that as something
                simple and
                > boring, like "arise" or "appeared" or "came on the scene".
                >
                > "After the war, Karel Zeman came on the scene and experimented with
                new
                > methods of animation."
                >
                > Sounds perfectly natural to me, and not silly.

                Try using it more than once in a few pages, out of hundreds of pages
                all full of puppets and stages, and you might find yourself like me,
                sitting there feeling it sounds like it's trying to make a bad joke
                (even though it's not).

                I do like the other suggestions, though. Simple and boring (i.e.
                unobtrusive) is exactly what I'm looking for.

                Erik
              • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 3, 2002
                  In a message dated 3/3/02 5:48:06 PM, erik@... writes:

                  >> Sounds perfectly natural to me, and not silly.
                  >>
                  >Try using it more than once in a few pages, out of hundreds of pages
                  >all full of puppets and stages, and you might find yourself like me,
                  >sitting there feeling it sounds like it's trying to make a bad joke
                  >(even though it's not).

                  HA! Now I get it. In that case, better not say "came on the scene". How
                  about saying he "popped up"? ;-)