Re: [Czechlist] TERM: atika

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi Matej,

      FWIW, my dear Millennium suggests "(flying) parapet" for atika (sikme
      strechy) and gable parapet for stitova atika. But also (gable) attic and
      attica. Did
      you try to google (something like attic +glossary)?

      HTH

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
        Bingo,

        a quick Google for parapet and wall yielded this:

        Term: Parapet Wall
        A parapet wall is a wall that rises above a roof line.

        BTW, the link may be useful:

        http://www.hgtv.com/HGTV/project/0,1158,BDRE_project_23684,FF.html

        Thanks for the suggestion, Martin, you get the "best brickie award" (tm)

      • Jan Rožek
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
          Hello Matej,
          IMHO atika = parapet (wall).
          Here are a few definitions found by Google, I think they fit nicely.

          architecture.about.com/library/blgloss-parapet.htm :

          A parapet is a low wall projecting from the edge of a platform, terrace, or roof. Parapets may rise above the cornice of a building or form the upper portion of a defensive wall on a castle. In Mission style homes, rounded parapets are often used as decorative features.

          www.trp.dundee.ac.uk/research/glossary/parapet.html :

          Parapet
          - the upstand of a wall above another structure, such as a roof or terrace.

          Term: Parapet Wall
          A parapet wall is a wall that rises above a roof line.

          Nice day,
          Jan Rozek
        • Rubková
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2002
            Mateji,

            ja znam atiku jako parapet a v pripade sikme strechy je to flying parapet.

            Sarka