Re: TERM: atika

  • paulnovotnyquebec
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
      I'd say definitely not "attic." If you really need to know the exact
      word, you may have to do an extensive search of the Web or ask an
      architect. Once I did that with a specific kind of roof - I called a
      few roofing companies and got the answer. Beware of dictionaries!
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
        Hi Matej,

        FWIW, my dear Millennium suggests "(flying) parapet" for atika (sikme
        strechy) and gable parapet for stitova atika. But also (gable) attic and
        attica. Did
        you try to google (something like attic +glossary)?

        HTH

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
          Bingo,

          a quick Google for parapet and wall yielded this:

          Term: Parapet Wall
          A parapet wall is a wall that rises above a roof line.

          BTW, the link may be useful:

          http://www.hgtv.com/HGTV/project/0,1158,BDRE_project_23684,FF.html

          Thanks for the suggestion, Martin, you get the "best brickie award" (tm)

        • Jan Rožek
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
            Hello Matej,
            IMHO atika = parapet (wall).
            Here are a few definitions found by Google, I think they fit nicely.

            architecture.about.com/library/blgloss-parapet.htm :

            A parapet is a low wall projecting from the edge of a platform, terrace, or roof. Parapets may rise above the cornice of a building or form the upper portion of a defensive wall on a castle. In Mission style homes, rounded parapets are often used as decorative features.

            www.trp.dundee.ac.uk/research/glossary/parapet.html :

            Parapet
            - the upstand of a wall above another structure, such as a roof or terrace.

            Term: Parapet Wall
            A parapet wall is a wall that rises above a roof line.

            Nice day,
            Jan Rozek
          • Rubková
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2002
              Mateji,

              ja znam atiku jako parapet a v pripade sikme strechy je to flying parapet.

              Sarka