Re: [Czechlist] TERM: atika

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
      Can anyone confirm that calling it attic is correct as Mihail suggests?
      Never heard attic used for anything that's not a covered space......

      Just found "attic gable" somewhere, but that doesn't sound too good,

      1) because I'd be reluctant to call a wall "gable" when talking about flat
      roofs (atika can also be found on a gable wall "hiding" a pitched roof)

      2) because gable walls are only two of the four walls around the building,
      and atika runs all around (on buildings with flat roofs)......

      and 3) because attic gable sounds too much like something behind which an
      attic space can be found, which is clearly not the case I described (raised
      wall around a flat foof which drains into its centre and through the
      building).....

      Then again, I suppose if we defined gable wall as the "wall without the
      gutter" (since sloping roofs never drain toward a gable wall), then all four
      walls around a flat roof could be called gable.......

      Matej

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
        I'd say definitely not "attic." If you really need to know the exact
        word, you may have to do an extensive search of the Web or ask an
        architect. Once I did that with a specific kind of roof - I called a
        few roofing companies and got the answer. Beware of dictionaries!
      • paulnovotnyquebec
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
          How about a "roof extension" - sounds pretty good, eh?
        • Mihail Mihaylov
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
            Simply attic. We use atika in BG too.

            HTH

            Mihail

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
              Hi Matej,

              FWIW, my dear Millennium suggests "(flying) parapet" for atika (sikme
              strechy) and gable parapet for stitova atika. But also (gable) attic and
              attica. Did
              you try to google (something like attic +glossary)?

              HTH

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
                Bingo,

                a quick Google for parapet and wall yielded this:

                Term: Parapet Wall
                A parapet wall is a wall that rises above a roof line.

                BTW, the link may be useful:

                http://www.hgtv.com/HGTV/project/0,1158,BDRE_project_23684,FF.html

                Thanks for the suggestion, Martin, you get the "best brickie award" (tm)

              • Jan Rožek
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
                  Hello Matej,
                  IMHO atika = parapet (wall).
                  Here are a few definitions found by Google, I think they fit nicely.

                  architecture.about.com/library/blgloss-parapet.htm :

                  A parapet is a low wall projecting from the edge of a platform, terrace, or roof. Parapets may rise above the cornice of a building or form the upper portion of a defensive wall on a castle. In Mission style homes, rounded parapets are often used as decorative features.

                  www.trp.dundee.ac.uk/research/glossary/parapet.html :

                  Parapet
                  - the upstand of a wall above another structure, such as a roof or terrace.

                  Term: Parapet Wall
                  A parapet wall is a wall that rises above a roof line.

                  Nice day,
                  Jan Rozek
                • Rubková
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 4, 2002
                    Mateji,

                    ja znam atiku jako parapet a v pripade sikme strechy je to flying parapet.

                    Sarka