TERM: atika

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
      Hi list,

      Can anyone help me to find E term for "atika", "atikova zed", etc.

      In most cases, it's the bit of wall sticking ABOVE a flat roof.........

      I've always wondered if English has a term for it .....most Czech speakers
      will say/write attic, which is obviously something else.....I've gotten
      round it by saying things like roof boundary, wall suroundin the roof, etc.,
      but sometimes that's a bit awkward........

      Has anyone heard of it in E?

      Thanks

      Matej
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
        Can anyone confirm that calling it attic is correct as Mihail suggests?
        Never heard attic used for anything that's not a covered space......

        Just found "attic gable" somewhere, but that doesn't sound too good,

        1) because I'd be reluctant to call a wall "gable" when talking about flat
        roofs (atika can also be found on a gable wall "hiding" a pitched roof)

        2) because gable walls are only two of the four walls around the building,
        and atika runs all around (on buildings with flat roofs)......

        and 3) because attic gable sounds too much like something behind which an
        attic space can be found, which is clearly not the case I described (raised
        wall around a flat foof which drains into its centre and through the
        building).....

        Then again, I suppose if we defined gable wall as the "wall without the
        gutter" (since sloping roofs never drain toward a gable wall), then all four
        walls around a flat roof could be called gable.......

        Matej

        > Can anyone help me to find E term for "atika", "atikova zed", etc.
        >
        > In most cases, it's the bit of wall sticking ABOVE a flat roof.........
        >
        > I've always wondered if English has a term for it .....most Czech speakers
        > will say/write attic, which is obviously something else.....I've gotten
        > round it by saying things like roof boundary, wall suroundin the roof,
        etc.,
        > but sometimes that's a bit awkward........
        >
        > Has anyone heard of it in E?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Matej

      • paulnovotnyquebec
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
          I'd say definitely not "attic." If you really need to know the exact
          word, you may have to do an extensive search of the Web or ask an
          architect. Once I did that with a specific kind of roof - I called a
          few roofing companies and got the answer. Beware of dictionaries!
        • paulnovotnyquebec
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
            How about a "roof extension" - sounds pretty good, eh?
          • Mihail Mihaylov
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
              Simply attic. We use atika in BG too.

              HTH

              Mihail

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
                Hi Matej,

                FWIW, my dear Millennium suggests "(flying) parapet" for atika (sikme
                strechy) and gable parapet for stitova atika. But also (gable) attic and
                attica. Did
                you try to google (something like attic +glossary)?

                HTH

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
                  Bingo,

                  a quick Google for parapet and wall yielded this:

                  Term: Parapet Wall
                  A parapet wall is a wall that rises above a roof line.

                  BTW, the link may be useful:

                  http://www.hgtv.com/HGTV/project/0,1158,BDRE_project_23684,FF.html

                  Thanks for the suggestion, Martin, you get the "best brickie award" (tm)

                • Jan Rožek
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 3, 2002
                    Hello Matej,
                    IMHO atika = parapet (wall).
                    Here are a few definitions found by Google, I think they fit nicely.

                    architecture.about.com/library/blgloss-parapet.htm :

                    A parapet is a low wall projecting from the edge of a platform, terrace, or roof. Parapets may rise above the cornice of a building or form the upper portion of a defensive wall on a castle. In Mission style homes, rounded parapets are often used as decorative features.

                    www.trp.dundee.ac.uk/research/glossary/parapet.html :

                    Parapet
                    - the upstand of a wall above another structure, such as a roof or terrace.

                    Term: Parapet Wall
                    A parapet wall is a wall that rises above a roof line.

                    Nice day,
                    Jan Rozek
                  • Rubková
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 4, 2002
                      Mateji,

                      ja znam atiku jako parapet a v pripade sikme strechy je to flying parapet.

                      Sarka