TERM: spravce verne ruky

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 11:33 AM
      --- In Czechlist@y..., "Petr Jarolím" <ok2med@c...> wrote:
      > Dear all!
      >
      > Have you ever heard about Smlouva o spravci verne ruky? The context
      says
      > that a company wanted to buy shares and appointed a lawyer to be
      spravce
      > verne ruky. Then, the lawyer bought the shares on its behalf. That
      is all.
      > Any ideas?

      Hello Hana,

      Here's one line of enquiry that might be worth following up. I'd
      presume that "spravce verne ruky" is derived from the German concept
      "Treuhänder", which Tomasek's Czech-English-French-German Legal
      Dictionary translates as "fiduciary" (his Czech translation is
      "fiduciar") but elsewhere, I see, it is translated as "trustee"
      (sverenecky spravce). Tomasek gives "fiduciary agreement" and
      "contract of trusteeship" for "fiduciarni (sverenecka) smlouva" and I
      have also found numerous examples of "trustee agreement" on the net.
      Might be worth checking these ideas out on Google with key-words from
      your context to see if any of them fit.

      Time for my fix of smazeny syr.

      M.
    • paulnovotnyquebec
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 7:19 AM
        I'd say that it's "Escrow Contract" or something like that. I once
        asked a lawyer friend of mine and he said that "spravce verne ruky"
        does not exist under the Czech law. From my experience, it's not so
        much a matter of linguistics, but what is accepted in legal practice.
        I guess it would therefore depend on what is that particular contract
        called under the law that it is governed by. In the Czech Republic,
        if I'm not mistaken, only the types of contracts listed in the
        Commercial and Civil Codes are possible, or at least I don't recall
        working on any other types. If you translate a lot of contracts, get
        the Trade Links translation of these two laws and you'll have most of
        the vocabulary you'll ever need. Trade Links translations are
        sometimes akward, but they're a good place to start. I've found most
        dictionaries to be practically useless.
      • paulnovotnyquebec
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 7:26 AM
          Escrow Contract
        • Petr Jarolím
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2 12:45 PM
            Thanks, Melvyn.
            This helped me much. I will also try Google searchning...
            Hana