Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Eat-and-run

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
      > It sounds like you love a lot of the foods I hate.

      :-D When have we ever agreed on anything, Jamie?

      > Speaking of food cravings following you across the ocean, mine were pretty
      > strange: A couple summers ago I got a huge craving for water from
      > Antonickuv Pramen, or Ambroziuv Pramen in Marianske Lazne.

      Perhaps you were deficient in certain minerals.

      > I went all over hell looking for a suitable substitute

      You went looking for water in hell? Bad choice.

      > but suddenly I had an irresistable craving for a greasy piece of grilled
      > kielbasa served with a dollop of spicy mustard on a piece of grey
      > cardboard.

      I stopped getting klobasy on Vaclavak after one squirted a fountain of
      grease on my suede coat; I was starting to get disillusioned anyway: the
      gristle content of the sausages is so high.

      > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

      :-D

      Root beer and cheetos. Miss them, too.

      Simon
    • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
        > the gristle content of the sausages is so high

        I also get a little uneasy about the relatively small number of stray dogs
        in the streets of Prague...

        > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away

        Mmmmmm I particularly love those smazaks with a little hollow in the middle
        full of grease. Now there's food to make you "eat and run" (usually about
        two hours later in my experience...)

        Coilin
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
          > I stopped getting klobasy on Vaclavak after one squirted a fountain of
          > grease on my suede coat; I was starting to get disillusioned anyway: the
          > gristle content of the sausages is so high.

          I stopped buying those after one kept me on the bog for a weekend - never
          had a worse diarhea......but I admit they are seriously tempting on early
          morning drunken returns from pubcrawls.....

          Re: food we miss:

          Sweden and Denmark has a great thing called "Kari Sild", they are sweet/sour
          pickled herrings (Matjesy-kind) in a creamy curry sauce..........my local
          Julius Meindl carries "svedske slede", but the sauce is sweeter, with no
          curry and with dill.......I usually get half a kilo and mix them with sour
          cream, one sachet of curry, chopped onions, bit of vinegar and a touch of
          sugar....they are quite good after they've sat in a jar in the fridge for a
          few days, but not as good as the original.......

          Matej
        • Michael Grant
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
            On 3/1/02 4:51 AM, "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@...> wrote:

            > Michael, you're an entrepreneurial type: ever thought of branching
            > out into sausage-exporting? You could do Smithfield ham, too. Blue Danube
            > Meat-packing and Translation Services. Yeah, has a ring to it, doesn't it?

            Hmm, I'd prob'ly want to do chorizo. And picante sauce--anyone want to buy
            some picante sauce?

            Michael

            --
            _
            | |
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
              On 3/1/02 5:20 AM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

              > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

              Hmm, we were just discussing Ukrainian salo on another list. Pure pork fat,
              prepared in any number of ways....

              Michael

              --
              "More and more of our imports are coming from overseas."
              - George W. Bush