Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Eat-and-run

  • Simon Vaughan
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
      > If it makes any consolation to you, Simon, I am pretty sure it´s just a
      > question of time when your sausages crop up in the Czech market too.
      > Recently, I was shocked by finding my favourite coarse cut marmalade (not
      > jam) in one of Tesco stores....

      I'm not as optimistic as you (that's why I'm relying on Michael).

      Simon
    • Simon Vaughan
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
        > It sounds like you love a lot of the foods I hate.

        :-D When have we ever agreed on anything, Jamie?

        > Speaking of food cravings following you across the ocean, mine were pretty
        > strange: A couple summers ago I got a huge craving for water from
        > Antonickuv Pramen, or Ambroziuv Pramen in Marianske Lazne.

        Perhaps you were deficient in certain minerals.

        > I went all over hell looking for a suitable substitute

        You went looking for water in hell? Bad choice.

        > but suddenly I had an irresistable craving for a greasy piece of grilled
        > kielbasa served with a dollop of spicy mustard on a piece of grey
        > cardboard.

        I stopped getting klobasy on Vaclavak after one squirted a fountain of
        grease on my suede coat; I was starting to get disillusioned anyway: the
        gristle content of the sausages is so high.

        > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

        :-D

        Root beer and cheetos. Miss them, too.

        Simon
      • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
          > the gristle content of the sausages is so high

          I also get a little uneasy about the relatively small number of stray dogs
          in the streets of Prague...

          > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away

          Mmmmmm I particularly love those smazaks with a little hollow in the middle
          full of grease. Now there's food to make you "eat and run" (usually about
          two hours later in my experience...)

          Coilin
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
            > I stopped getting klobasy on Vaclavak after one squirted a fountain of
            > grease on my suede coat; I was starting to get disillusioned anyway: the
            > gristle content of the sausages is so high.

            I stopped buying those after one kept me on the bog for a weekend - never
            had a worse diarhea......but I admit they are seriously tempting on early
            morning drunken returns from pubcrawls.....

            Re: food we miss:

            Sweden and Denmark has a great thing called "Kari Sild", they are sweet/sour
            pickled herrings (Matjesy-kind) in a creamy curry sauce..........my local
            Julius Meindl carries "svedske slede", but the sauce is sweeter, with no
            curry and with dill.......I usually get half a kilo and mix them with sour
            cream, one sachet of curry, chopped onions, bit of vinegar and a touch of
            sugar....they are quite good after they've sat in a jar in the fridge for a
            few days, but not as good as the original.......

            Matej
          • Michael Grant
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
              On 3/1/02 4:51 AM, "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@...> wrote:

              > Michael, you're an entrepreneurial type: ever thought of branching
              > out into sausage-exporting? You could do Smithfield ham, too. Blue Danube
              > Meat-packing and Translation Services. Yeah, has a ring to it, doesn't it?

              Hmm, I'd prob'ly want to do chorizo. And picante sauce--anyone want to buy
              some picante sauce?

              Michael

              --
              _
              | |
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                On 3/1/02 5:20 AM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

                > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

                Hmm, we were just discussing Ukrainian salo on another list. Pure pork fat,
                prepared in any number of ways....

                Michael

                --
                "More and more of our imports are coming from overseas."
                - George W. Bush