Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Eat-and-run

  • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
      In a message dated 3/1/02 5:56:19 AM, rachelandsimon@... writes:

      >I'll tell you the American food I miss most of all - since you've asked.
      >It's not vanilla breakfast bars, tootsie rolls, fruit loops, oreos,
      >ice-cream sandwiches, or artificial grape juice (though these are a grievous
      >loss), but breakfast sausage: spicy American breakfast sausage. Sadly
      >unobtainable here, or in Britain.

      It sounds like you love a lot of the foods I hate. I detested Fruit Loops
      even when I was a child. You'll be interested to know that there are now
      several kinds of Oreos, including Oreos with "double stuff", as the package
      says. I use chocolate cream Oreos (containing double stuff, but chocolate)
      instead of coffee on those days when I need a huge caffeine jag.

      Speaking of food cravings following you across the ocean, mine were pretty
      strange: A couple summers ago I got a huge craving for water from Antonickuv
      Pramen, or Ambroziuv Pramen in Marianske Lazne. I went all over hell looking
      for a suitable substitute and made due with some fizzy German mineral water,
      even though it wasn't the same. After a couple days that craving went away,
      but suddenly I had an irresistable craving for a greasy piece of grilled
      kielbasa served with a dollop of spicy mustard on a piece of grey cardboard.
      Well, that was something I just COULDN'T get here, so there was no quenching
      that desire.

      And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

      Jamie
    • Simon Vaughan
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
        > If it makes any consolation to you, Simon, I am pretty sure it´s just a
        > question of time when your sausages crop up in the Czech market too.
        > Recently, I was shocked by finding my favourite coarse cut marmalade (not
        > jam) in one of Tesco stores....

        I'm not as optimistic as you (that's why I'm relying on Michael).

        Simon
      • Simon Vaughan
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
          > It sounds like you love a lot of the foods I hate.

          :-D When have we ever agreed on anything, Jamie?

          > Speaking of food cravings following you across the ocean, mine were pretty
          > strange: A couple summers ago I got a huge craving for water from
          > Antonickuv Pramen, or Ambroziuv Pramen in Marianske Lazne.

          Perhaps you were deficient in certain minerals.

          > I went all over hell looking for a suitable substitute

          You went looking for water in hell? Bad choice.

          > but suddenly I had an irresistable craving for a greasy piece of grilled
          > kielbasa served with a dollop of spicy mustard on a piece of grey
          > cardboard.

          I stopped getting klobasy on Vaclavak after one squirted a fountain of
          grease on my suede coat; I was starting to get disillusioned anyway: the
          gristle content of the sausages is so high.

          > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

          :-D

          Root beer and cheetos. Miss them, too.

          Simon
        • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
            > the gristle content of the sausages is so high

            I also get a little uneasy about the relatively small number of stray dogs
            in the streets of Prague...

            > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away

            Mmmmmm I particularly love those smazaks with a little hollow in the middle
            full of grease. Now there's food to make you "eat and run" (usually about
            two hours later in my experience...)

            Coilin
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
              > I stopped getting klobasy on Vaclavak after one squirted a fountain of
              > grease on my suede coat; I was starting to get disillusioned anyway: the
              > gristle content of the sausages is so high.

              I stopped buying those after one kept me on the bog for a weekend - never
              had a worse diarhea......but I admit they are seriously tempting on early
              morning drunken returns from pubcrawls.....

              Re: food we miss:

              Sweden and Denmark has a great thing called "Kari Sild", they are sweet/sour
              pickled herrings (Matjesy-kind) in a creamy curry sauce..........my local
              Julius Meindl carries "svedske slede", but the sauce is sweeter, with no
              curry and with dill.......I usually get half a kilo and mix them with sour
              cream, one sachet of curry, chopped onions, bit of vinegar and a touch of
              sugar....they are quite good after they've sat in a jar in the fridge for a
              few days, but not as good as the original.......

              Matej
            • Michael Grant
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                On 3/1/02 4:51 AM, "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@...> wrote:

                > Michael, you're an entrepreneurial type: ever thought of branching
                > out into sausage-exporting? You could do Smithfield ham, too. Blue Danube
                > Meat-packing and Translation Services. Yeah, has a ring to it, doesn't it?

                Hmm, I'd prob'ly want to do chorizo. And picante sauce--anyone want to buy
                some picante sauce?

                Michael

                --
                _
                | |
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2002
                  On 3/1/02 5:20 AM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

                  > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

                  Hmm, we were just discussing Ukrainian salo on another list. Pure pork fat,
                  prepared in any number of ways....

                  Michael

                  --
                  "More and more of our imports are coming from overseas."
                  - George W. Bush