Re: [Czechlist] CHAT: Eat-and-run

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1 3:12 AM
      If it makes any consolation to you, Simon, I am pretty sure it´s just a
      question of time when your sausages crop up in the Czech market too.
      Recently, I was shocked by finding my favourite coarse cut marmalade (not
      jam) in one of Tesco stores....

      Cheers
      Martin

    • JPKIRCHNER@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1 3:20 AM
        In a message dated 3/1/02 5:56:19 AM, rachelandsimon@... writes:

        >I'll tell you the American food I miss most of all - since you've asked.
        >It's not vanilla breakfast bars, tootsie rolls, fruit loops, oreos,
        >ice-cream sandwiches, or artificial grape juice (though these are a grievous
        >loss), but breakfast sausage: spicy American breakfast sausage. Sadly
        >unobtainable here, or in Britain.

        It sounds like you love a lot of the foods I hate. I detested Fruit Loops
        even when I was a child. You'll be interested to know that there are now
        several kinds of Oreos, including Oreos with "double stuff", as the package
        says. I use chocolate cream Oreos (containing double stuff, but chocolate)
        instead of coffee on those days when I need a huge caffeine jag.

        Speaking of food cravings following you across the ocean, mine were pretty
        strange: A couple summers ago I got a huge craving for water from Antonickuv
        Pramen, or Ambroziuv Pramen in Marianske Lazne. I went all over hell looking
        for a suitable substitute and made due with some fizzy German mineral water,
        even though it wasn't the same. After a couple days that craving went away,
        but suddenly I had an irresistable craving for a greasy piece of grilled
        kielbasa served with a dollop of spicy mustard on a piece of grey cardboard.
        Well, that was something I just COULDN'T get here, so there was no quenching
        that desire.

        And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

        Jamie
      • Simon Vaughan
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1 7:09 AM
          > If it makes any consolation to you, Simon, I am pretty sure it´s just a
          > question of time when your sausages crop up in the Czech market too.
          > Recently, I was shocked by finding my favourite coarse cut marmalade (not
          > jam) in one of Tesco stores....

          I'm not as optimistic as you (that's why I'm relying on Michael).

          Simon
        • Simon Vaughan
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1 7:14 AM
            > It sounds like you love a lot of the foods I hate.

            :-D When have we ever agreed on anything, Jamie?

            > Speaking of food cravings following you across the ocean, mine were pretty
            > strange: A couple summers ago I got a huge craving for water from
            > Antonickuv Pramen, or Ambroziuv Pramen in Marianske Lazne.

            Perhaps you were deficient in certain minerals.

            > I went all over hell looking for a suitable substitute

            You went looking for water in hell? Bad choice.

            > but suddenly I had an irresistable craving for a greasy piece of grilled
            > kielbasa served with a dollop of spicy mustard on a piece of grey
            > cardboard.

            I stopped getting klobasy on Vaclavak after one squirted a fountain of
            grease on my suede coat; I was starting to get disillusioned anyway: the
            gristle content of the sausages is so high.

            > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

            :-D

            Root beer and cheetos. Miss them, too.

            Simon
          • PSS Praha - Coilin O' Connor
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1 7:35 AM
              > the gristle content of the sausages is so high

              I also get a little uneasy about the relatively small number of stray dogs
              in the streets of Prague...

              > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away

              Mmmmmm I particularly love those smazaks with a little hollow in the middle
              full of grease. Now there's food to make you "eat and run" (usually about
              two hours later in my experience...)

              Coilin
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1 8:53 AM
                > I stopped getting klobasy on Vaclavak after one squirted a fountain of
                > grease on my suede coat; I was starting to get disillusioned anyway: the
                > gristle content of the sausages is so high.

                I stopped buying those after one kept me on the bog for a weekend - never
                had a worse diarhea......but I admit they are seriously tempting on early
                morning drunken returns from pubcrawls.....

                Re: food we miss:

                Sweden and Denmark has a great thing called "Kari Sild", they are sweet/sour
                pickled herrings (Matjesy-kind) in a creamy curry sauce..........my local
                Julius Meindl carries "svedske slede", but the sauce is sweeter, with no
                curry and with dill.......I usually get half a kilo and mix them with sour
                cream, one sachet of curry, chopped onions, bit of vinegar and a touch of
                sugar....they are quite good after they've sat in a jar in the fridge for a
                few days, but not as good as the original.......

                Matej
              • Michael Grant
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1 9:37 AM
                  On 3/1/02 4:51 AM, "Simon Vaughan" <rachelandsimon@...> wrote:

                  > Michael, you're an entrepreneurial type: ever thought of branching
                  > out into sausage-exporting? You could do Smithfield ham, too. Blue Danube
                  > Meat-packing and Translation Services. Yeah, has a ring to it, doesn't it?

                  Hmm, I'd prob'ly want to do chorizo. And picante sauce--anyone want to buy
                  some picante sauce?

                  Michael

                  --
                  _
                  | |
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 1 9:39 AM
                    On 3/1/02 5:20 AM, "JPKIRCHNER@..." <JPKIRCHNER@...> wrote:

                    > And the desperate desire for smazeny syr never goes away.

                    Hmm, we were just discussing Ukrainian salo on another list. Pure pork fat,
                    prepared in any number of ways....

                    Michael

                    --
                    "More and more of our imports are coming from overseas."
                    - George W. Bush